Who is Visual Merchandiser?
Visual merchandisers design, produce and convey visual ideas and tactics to promote retail brands using their creativity and understanding of trends. They design floor designs and product displays for shops and businesses in order to create appealing presentations for consumers. As a visual merchandiser, you'll promote retail brands, products, and services in-store, in catalogues, or online.
You might also collaborate with museums and galleries, as well as produce graphic ideas for events. It will be crucial for you to stay on top of current events and make predictions about what will happen in the future.
Typical day at work
What does Visual Merchandiser do?
Visual Merchandisers use their design skills to help promote the products/services of retail businesses and other organizations. Their major task is to design something appealing to the eye and reflective of the goods.
Museums, retail institutions, theatrical companies, outlets, galleries, department shops, and other comparable establishments employ visual merchandisers.
- conduct research on current and future trends in design and lifestyle, and associated target market features
- meet with business, sales managers and retail managers to discuss sales strategies
- identify and source props, fabrics, hardware and lighting
- maintain a budget and negotiate with suppliers of visual materials
- work with architectural features of stores to maximize the available space
- use artistic skills or computer-aided design (CAD) packages, such as AutoCAD, Mockshop or Adobe Creative Suite, to create visuals and plans
- create visual merchandising packs to communicate visual guidelines including layout principles, visual dressings and signage - usually applies to those based in a head office
- visit branches and train sales teams in-store visual merchandising techniques and concepts
- assemble or dismantle visual displays in windows or in-store
Abilities & aptitude needed
What are the skills, abilities & aptitude needed to become Visual Merchandiser?
- A talent for design, colour and style.
- Creative flair and Imagination.
- A keen interest in current and upcoming design trends
- Visual/spatial awareness and manual dexterity.
- Effective communication and negotiation skills.
- The capacity to function successfully in a variety of groups
- The capacity to work with constructive criticism.
Which course I can pursue?
Which are the best colleges to attend to become Visual Merchandiser?
Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Vadodara
Vadodara, Gujarat | U.G.C, N.A.A.CNIRF Rank : 17
Symbiosis International University, Pune
Lavale, Maharashtra | Symbiosis International University, PuneNIRF Rank : 22
Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam, Tirupathi
Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh | UGCNIRF Rank : 46
VELS Institute of Science Technology and Advanced Studies, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | ?UGC NAACNIRF Rank : 52
Which industries are open for Visual Merchandiser?
Ready to become Visual Merchandiser?
Take the world’s best assessment test !Take a free demo
Are there internships available for Visual Merchandiser?
What does the future look like for Visual Merchandiser?
Retail employees, which includes merchandising displayers, can expect slow job growth between 2020 and 2030. The number of new jobs is predicted to increase by 3%. Starting on the shop floor and gaining experience, visual merchandisers may be able to advance to the role of team or area team leader or manager. Those pursuing higher-level positions may be required to have drawing skills, as well as desired computer-aided design (CAD) abilities.
It's possible that you'll be promoted to the head office's creative and visual merchandising teams. If the organisation is transnational, head office career structures will differ from employer to employer but may include senior, director, or worldwide jobs.
Explore related career
Finance And Accounts | 12th | CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT for Master’sSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Entertainment & Media | 12th | National School of Drama entranceSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACET Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACETSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Medicine & Allied Healthcare | 12thSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum