Who is Sound Technician?
Sound Technicians use the soundboard and other audio equipment to ensure sound levels are correct and the sound is mixed well. Their work is the finishing touch on the artist’s performance, guaranteeing that the music sounds good for both the performer on stage and for the people in the crowd. In some cases, they also assist with lighting and special effects. Sound technicians may work in radio, television and recording studios, or in theatres and other live performance venues. They may also work in wholesale and retail businesses trading in sound reproduction, recording and public address (PA) equipment. In some cases, they specialize in operating or maintaining sound equipment.
Typical day at work
What does Sound Technician do?
Sound Engineering Technicians set up, operate, and maintain the electrical equipment for radio and television broadcasts, concerts, sound recordings, and movies and in office and school buildings. They operate, monitor, and adjust audio and video equipment to regulate the volume and ensure quality in radio and television broadcasts, concerts, and other performances.
- Collaborate with producers, performers, and others to find and achieve the required production sound for music recording or a film
- Arrange for recording sessions by choosing and setting up microphones based on the acoustics of area
- Using recording equipment, record voice, music and other audio sounds on recording media
- Using control consoles, adjust volume level and sound quality during recording sessions
- Segregate instruments, vocals, and other sounds or merge sounds during the stage of mixing or postproduction
- Using sound mixing boards, mix and edit voices, music, and taped sound effects for live performances and for pre-recorded events
- Maintain recording logs
- Assemble, maintain, service, and report repairs in sound equipment and confirm the needed repairs are made
- Mount, test, and regulate recording equipment for recording sessions and live performances
- Using control consoles, synchronize and equalize pre-recorded speech, music, and sound effects with the visual motion action of pictures or television productions
- Convert video and audio recordings into digital edit or archive format
- Use sound editing and duplication equipment to replicate and reuse sound recordings from original recording media
- De-mount sound equipment after completion of event
- Create and install sound systems.
Abilities & aptitude needed
What are the skills, abilities & aptitude needed to become Sound Technician?
- Sound Technician requires strong technical, troubleshooting, and communication skills. They use systems in the computer to program equipment as well as edit audio recordings.
- Specialists also require skills of manual dexterity as they set up audio and sound equipment and cables, a job which requires a steady hand and good eye-hand coordination.
- They would also require problem-solving skills and creative thinking as technicians need to recognize equipment problems and propose possible solutions to them.
Which course I can pursue?
Which are the best colleges to attend to become Sound Technician?
Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
Pune, Maharashtra | Savitribai Phule Pune University, PuneNIRF Rank : 10
Atma Ram Sanatan Dharm College, New Delhi
New Delhi | Delhi UniversityNIRF Rank : 14
Deen Dayal Upadhyaya College.
New Delhi | UGC,Delhi UniversityNIRF Rank : 17
Acharya Narendra Dev College, New Delhi
New Delhi | Delhi universityNIRF Rank : 24
Silver Jubilee Degree College, Kurnool
Kurnool | Rayalaseema UniversityNIRF Rank : 66
NSHM Knowledge Campus, Kolkata
Kolkata, West Bengal | Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, KolkataNIRF Rank : 68
Which industries are open for Sound Technician?
Ready to become Sound Technician?
Take the world’s best assessment test !Take a free demo
Are there internships available for Sound Technician?
What does the future look like for Sound Technician?
- Sound Technicians find employment at businesses with in-house audio and sound production facilities and equipment. They may also work in wholesale and retail companies trading in sound reproduction, recording, and public address (PA) equipment. Sometimes, they may also specialize in operations and maintenance of sound equipment.
- Generally the work is indoors, but can include positions outside, in a studio environment in sporting events, concerts, and news broadcasts. They may also work in recording studios, theatres, television, radio, and venues of live performance.
- The work varies from steady 40-hour work weeks, to having to work overtime, evening, weekend and holiday shifts, depending on the position and any contractual deadlines. They often work with other AV team members, designers, project managers, installation technicians, and so on.
Explore related career
Finance And Accounts | 12th | CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT for Master’sSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Entertainment & Media | 12th | National School of Drama entranceSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACET Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACETSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Medicine & Allied Healthcare | 12thSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum