Who is Security Manager?
One of the most important support systems for businesses is the internet and computers. A security manager is an IT professional, thus, also known as Information Security Manager, who runs their organizations' information security-related operations. They are also in charge of cyber security and manage information security analysts and administrators. An information security manager is responsible for securing the computers, networks, and data against unwanted threats like computer viruses, security breaches, and malicious hacker attacks that can hamper the systems which could lead organizations to lose revenue and confidential information. They develop security solutions; implement security policies within the organization, or even hold cyber security training sessions for the employees.
Typical day at work
What does Security Manager do?
Security Managers are answerable for checking the security tasks for any association or organization. They actualize security arrangements, guidelines, rules, and standards and ensure that nature in their association is alright for managers and guests. These administrators are required to enlist new individuals for the staff and representative assignments and obligations to them. One of their principal obligations is to check and screen the entrance control of the individuals who are visiting the organization.
The job of a security manager is more managerial than technical. That is, you may have to do the hiring and firing for your security team.
- Assess an enterprise’s security measures such as anti-virus software, passwords, and firewalls to identify areas vulnerable to attack
- Manage backup and security systems, oversee the recovery of data in catastrophe, and supervise security violation investigations
- Design strategies for all the IT projects executed within the organization
- Act as the highest escalation level for security incidents
- Operating within department/ team budgetary guidelines
- Manage the execution of strategies
- Define, implement, and maintain the security policies to be followed within the organization
- Manage security audits
- Co-ordinate mitigation procedures or forensic analysis
- Monitor the performance of that all security administrators, analysts, and IT professionals
- Deal with programmers, auditors, and risk assessment teams as a mediator with the upper-level management
- Raise the level of security awareness by holding several trainings on security protocols, procedures, and practices
- Assure that organization is a compliant with commonly recognized security standards
- Select the topmost, best quality, free of harm, security tools to be used within the organization
- Document integration issues that result from implementation of security tools in the network of the organization
- Document estimations of the total costs that will be required to implement these tools and fix such issues
- Be alert for any security incidents and present a detailed analysis of the incident and what caused it to occur.
Abilities & aptitude needed
What are the skills, abilities & aptitude needed to become Security Manager?
Along with soft skills such as communication, listening, writing, and collaboration, a career in Security Management also requires certain hard skills and technical abilities.
In hard skills, security managers need strong expertise in information security measures, IT security architecture, and network architecture. They must also possess knowledge about various operating systems, including Linux and Windows. Firewalls, intrusion detection procedures, and intrusion prevention techniques must all be known to them. Many entry-level and intermediate cybersecurity occupations, such as information security analysts and security administrators, need the aforementioned abilities.
In addition, security managers need excellent leadership, problem-solving, analytical, business, and strategic decision-making skills, since they need to manage employees and make important, timely decisions. The ability to multitask between daily tasks in the workspace is desired.
Information security managers tend to be investigative, which means that they are quite inquisitive and curious. One should also know about secure hacking and its practices and have experience with ethical hacking and threat modelling.
Which course I can pursue?
Which are the best colleges to attend to become Security Manager?
National Institute of Technology, Calicut
Kattangal, Kerala | AICTE, UGCNIRF Rank : 3
Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
Pune, Maharashtra | Savitribai Phule Pune University, PuneNIRF Rank : 10
Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | Sri Ramachandra University (SRU)NIRF Rank : 11
Atma Ram Sanatan Dharm College, New Delhi
New Delhi | Delhi UniversityNIRF Rank : 14
Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology, Bhopal
Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh | AICTE, NBANIRF Rank : 14
Indian Institute of Technology (Indian School of Mines) Dhanbad
Dhanbad, Jharkhand | Indian Institute of technologyNIRF Rank : 15
National Institute of Technology Rourkela
Rourkela, Odisha | UGCNIRF Rank : 16
JSS Medical College, Mysore
Mysuru, Karnataka | Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, KarnatakaNIRF Rank : 17
Punjabi University, Patiala
Patiala, Punjab | UGC, NAAC.AIUNIRF Rank : 18
National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Surathkal
Mangaluru, Karnataka |NIRF Rank : 21
PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore
Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu | Anna University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 37
Shanmugha Arts Science Technology and Research Academy, Thanjavur
Thanjur, Tamil nadu | NAAC, UGC, NAAC-ANIRF Rank : 38
Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology, Allahabad
Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh | Uttar Pradesh Technical University (UPTU)NIRF Rank : 42
National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra
Thanesar, Haryana |NIRF Rank : 44
Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore
Vellore | UGCNIRF Rank : 46
Amity University, Gautam Budh Nagar
NOIDA | UGC?, ?NAAC?, ?WASC?, ?AIU?, ?ACUNIRF Rank : 49
Lovely Professional University, Phagwara
Phagwara, Punjab | UGC, AIU, PCI, NCTE, COA, ACBSP,NIRF Rank : 52
Koneru Lakshmaiah Education Foundation University(K L College of Engineering), Vaddeswaram
Guntur, Andhra Pradesh | University Grants Commission, All India Council for Technical EducationNIRF Rank : 58
Shoolini University of Biotechnology and Management Sciences, Solan
Solan, Himachal Pradesh | UGCNIRF Rank : 65
SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
Kattankulathur, Tamil Nadu | SRM University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 73
Pondicherry Engineering College, Puducherry
Pillaichavady, Puducherry | Pondicherry University, PuducherryNIRF Rank : 76
PEC University of Technology, Chandigarh
Chandigarh, Chandigarh | Panjab University, ChandigarhNIRF Rank : 78
Atal Bihari Vajpayee Indian Institute of Information Technology and Management, Gwalior
Gwalior, Madhya pradesh | MHRDNIRF Rank : 81
Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science, Chennai
Chennai | NAAC; UGCNIRF Rank : 95
Kongu Engineering College, Perundurai
Erode, Tamil Nadu | Anna University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 99
New Horizon College of Engineering, Bengaluru
Bengaluru, Karnataka | Visvesvaraya Technological University, BelagaviNIRF Rank : 106
Vallurupalli Nageswara Rao Vignana Jyothi Institute of Engineering and Technology, Hyderabad
Hyderabad, Telangana | Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, HyderabadNIRF Rank : 109
The Northcap University, Gurugram
Gurgaon, Haryana | BCI, NAAC, UGC, MHRD, AIUNIRF Rank : 117
PES University, Bengaluru
Bengaluru, Karnataka | AICTE, NAAC, UGCNIRF Rank : 149
Sharda University, Greater Noida
Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh | Sharda University, Greater NoidaNIRF Rank : 179
Which industries are open for Security Manager?
Ready to become Security Manager?
Take the world’s best assessment test !Take a free demo
Are there internships available for Security Manager?
What does the future look like for Security Manager?
Security managers are in demand in almost all sectors. Both government and private-owned corporations need the assistance and guidance of a security manager to help keep their computer systems threat and virus free.
- Education Sector needs security managers to reach out to the students and authorities through a secure medium to easily conduct entrance examinations, distribute information to the directed students, circulate study resources, maintain a track record of the students, etc. without any threat.
- Government Sector: To maintain and develop the policies related to information security and to investigate threats, suspects, and breaches caused within the organization.
- Various Departments of the Executive and Legislative branches of the federal government and the state government
- Defence Services- the Army, Navy and Air Force of India, where the need for securing online data is extremely high.
- Media and Entertainment Sector: To protect audio, video, and text files from viruses, hidden dangers, and plagiarism, as well as to assure the content's safety and privacy.
- Finance and Marketing Sector.
Explore related career
Finance And Accounts | 12th | CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT for Master’sSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Entertainment & Media | 12th | National School of Drama entranceSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACET Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACETSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Medicine & Allied Healthcare | 12thSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum