Who is Restaurant Manager?
Restaurant Manger also known as, Food Service Manager is an individual responsible for the daily operations of their own or some owner’s food service establishment. They supervise all tasks related to the preparation of food, services, and delegate tasks to staff. They regulate the standards and practices that guarantee that customers are satisfied with their experience, members of the staff are safe, and that overall operations are profitable.
Typical day at work
What does Restaurant Manager do?
Restaurant Manager deals with the staff and activity of the concerned foundation. The manager is additionally responsible for the usage of the restaurant's approaches and policies and will take an interest in accomplishing the income destinations. The Restaurant Manager guarantees that staff stays consistent with all nearby, state and government laws, and that clients' needs are expeditiously met.
- Organize and direct worker training programs, establish performance standards, and resolve staff problems
- Review menus and analyze recipes to determine labour and other costs, and then allocate prices to items in the menu
- Record the number, kind, and item cost sold in to determine unpopular or less profitable items
- Recruit, Assess, and Schedule staff hours and assign duties
- Equipment maintenance and repairs, and manage services such as waste removal and pest control.
- Monitor employee and investor activities to ensure obedience of liquor regulations
- Take appointments, greet and escort the guests to seats, and provide them with menus
- Establish and enforce dining industry accepted nutritional standards
- Plan food use based on expected guests, nutritional value, palatability, popularity, and costs.
- Create specialty dishes and develop recipes
- Manage catering services for events and negotiate arrangement details with customers
- Monitor processes and operational problems to progress service, performance, safety
- If required, perform tasks like cooking, clearing tables, and serving food and drinks
- Maintain food and equipment inventories and records
- Maintain government records regarding sanitation and food subsidies
- Estimate food, liquor, wine, and other beverage consumption to purchase expected amounts
- Monitor compliance with health and fire regulations with the staff while preparing food and serving
- Coordinate duties of chefs to ensure economical use of food and timely preparation
- Schedule, check delivery contents for product quality and quantity, and then receive deliveries of raw materials, food and beverage
- Monitor methods of food preparation, portion sizes, and garnishing of food to ensure that food is presented in a satisfactory way
- Monitor budgets and records of payroll, check financial transactions to confirm authorized and budgeted expenditures
- Smell and taste-test cooked food to ensure palatability and flavour
- Investigate and resolve complaints regarding food quality, service, or accommodations.
Abilities & aptitude needed
What are the skills, abilities & aptitude needed to become Restaurant Manager?
Restaurant Managers should be aware of the know-hows of restaurant business such as how to budget for supplies, set prices, and manage workers to guarantee profits. Restaurant Managers keep track of many different schedules, budgets, and people, thus one also requires good organization skills.
Managers must have good leadership and problem solving skills to establish healthy work relationships for a productive work environment by motivating workers and resolving conflicts. Restaurant managers must be courteous, attentive, and need good listening skills when dealing with critical needs of customers to ensure customer loyalty. They also need to have good communication skills to give clear orders to staff and be able to explain information to employees and customers.
Managers’ deal with many different types of activities, thus, they are required to be detail-oriented. They interact with suppliers, workers, and customers; maintain financial records; and ensure health and food safety. Time Management, Negotiation Skills, and Critical Thinking are other few skills required to manage a food chain.
Lastly, physical stamina is expected out of Food service managers as they often work long hours, mostly on their feet.
Which course I can pursue?
Which are the best colleges to attend to become Restaurant Manager?
Madras Christian College, Chennai
Chennai | University of MadrasNIRF Rank : 13
Punjabi University, Patiala
Patiala, Punjab | UGC, NAAC.AIUNIRF Rank : 18
Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal
Manipal, Karnataka | UGCNIRF Rank : 18
Siksha 'O' Anusandhan, Bhubaneswar
Bhuvaneshwar, Odisha | Biju Patnaik University of Technology,UGC,NAACNIRF Rank : 21
Symbiosis International University, Pune
Lavale, Maharashtra | Symbiosis International University, PuneNIRF Rank : 22
Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur
Nagpur, Maharashtra | UGC,AIUNIRF Rank : 29
Mar Ivanios College, Thiruvananthapuram
Thiruvananthapuram | University of Kerala,UGCNIRF Rank : 29
Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak
Rohtak, Haryana | UGC, NAAC-ANIRF Rank : 32
Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
Varanasi | ACU AIU NAAC UGCNIRF Rank : 39
Maharishi Markandeshwar University, Mullana
Mullana, Haryana | Maharishi Markandeshwar University, MullanaNIRF Rank : 41
Alliance University, Bengaluru
Bengaluru | UCCNIRF Rank : 42
Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam, Tirupathi
Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh | UGCNIRF Rank : 46
Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore
Vellore | UGCNIRF Rank : 46
Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University, Raipur
Raipur, Chhattisgarh | UGCNIRF Rank : 48
Amity University, Gautam Budh Nagar
NOIDA | UGC?, ?NAAC?, ?WASC?, ?AIU?, ?ACUNIRF Rank : 49
Bethune College, Kolkata
Kolkata | ?University of CalcuttaNIRF Rank : 50
Lovely Professional University, Phagwara
Phagwara, Punjab | UGC, AIU, PCI, NCTE, COA, ACBSP,NIRF Rank : 52
MS Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences, Bangalore
Bengaluru, Karnataka | MS Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences, BangaloreNIRF Rank : 52
VELS Institute of Science Technology and Advanced Studies, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | ?UGC NAACNIRF Rank : 52
Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
Thanesar, Haryana | UGCNIRF Rank : 53
Koneru Lakshmaiah Education Foundation University(K L College of Engineering), Vaddeswaram
Guntur, Andhra Pradesh | University Grants Commission, All India Council for Technical EducationNIRF Rank : 58
Stella Maris College for Women, Chennai
Chennai | University of MadrasNIRF Rank : 58
Shoolini University of Biotechnology and Management Sciences, Solan
Solan, Himachal Pradesh | UGCNIRF Rank : 65
NSHM Knowledge Campus, Kolkata
Kolkata, West Bengal | Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, KolkataNIRF Rank : 68
St. Xavier's College, Mumbai
Mumbai, Maharashtra | University of MumbaiNIRF Rank : 96
IK Gujral Punjab Technical University, Kapurthala
jalandhar | UGC, AICTENIRF Rank : 96
KLE Academy of Higher Education and Research, Belagavi
Belagavi | UGCNIRF Rank : 98
Manav Rachna International Institute of Research and Studies, Faridabad
Faridabad, Haryana | Manav Rachna International University, FaridabadNIRF Rank : 164
Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, Nadia
Kolkata, West Bengal | Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, KolkataNIRF Rank : 165
Which industries are open for Restaurant Manager?
Ready to become Restaurant Manager?
Take the world’s best assessment test !Take a free demo
Are there internships available for Restaurant Manager?
What does the future look like for Restaurant Manager?
Most restaurant managers work full time; often work for long shifts, usually more than 40 hours per week. At times, managers may be asked to come in on short notice, at late evenings, weekends, and holidays. Some managers might have to manage multiple chains at various locations.
Managers of food service can work in facilities like cafeterias in schools/colleges, factories, hospital canteen, or office buildings, apart from food chains. Restaurant managers can also be a part of hotel restaurants.
Explore related career
Finance And Accounts | 12th | CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT for Master’sSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Entertainment & Media | 12th | National School of Drama entranceSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACET Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACETSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Medicine & Allied Healthcare | 12thSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum