Who is Prosthodontist?
A prosthodontist is a dentist specialising in the replacement and repair of teeth, primarily for aesthetic reasons. Veneers, dental implants, bridges, crowns, inlays, inlays, and partial and total dentures are among the operations they do. A Prosthodontist treats patients who have lost some or all of their teeth. Their work aims to aid patients with regular oral functionality, such as chewing and speaking correctly and enhancing the look of their teeth. They get specialised training in cosmetic dentistry and restorative methods and repair people's smiles after natural ageing or after catastrophic incidents. Prosthodontists are considered the leaders in treatment planning. There is no dental specialist better equipped to restore both performance and aesthetics to your mouth.
Typical day at work
What does Prosthodontist do?
A prosthodontist is a dentist who specialises in the restoration and replacement of lost or damaged teeth with prostheses and other complicated dental and facial issues. They have extensive experience with dental implants, crowns, bridges, dentures, jaw abnormalities, and other procedures. Prosthodontists are aesthetic dentists who have a thorough awareness of the dynamics of a smile and the preservation of a healthy mouth. Prosthodontists, unlike conventional dentists, specialise in the repair and replacement of natural teeth. Artificial teeth (dentures), dental implants, caps, or crowns replace missing or excised teeth. Prosthodontists specialise in repairing missing sections of the jaw and face in persons with head and neck abnormalities.
- In addition to performing minor procedures, exams, and cleaning, Prosthodontics concentrate on identification, prevention, diagnosis, and treatment planning for patients having more advanced or complex dental requirements to reduce the effect on the oral environment.
- Examine teeth of the patients to establish the most appropriate plan of action
- Provide consultations by discussing dental needs and medical history
- To assess the shape and size of dental prostheses, perform jaw and teeth impressions and measurements with the help of face bows, dental articulators, recording devices, and other tools
- Switch missing teeth and other oral structures with permanent (implant-supported prostheses, crowns, bridges) or removable (dentures) fixtures
- Design and construct individualized dental prostheses for every patient
- Oversee dental and laboratory technicians while constructing the prosthetic devices
- Adjust and modify prostheses to create a perfect fit for patients
- Send wax models for making new prostheses in the laboratory
- Perform denture repair, reline, or re-base
- To conceal defects, attach veneers onto teeth
- Use bonding technology to change the shape of the teeth or to close gaps on the tooth surface
- Treat facial pain and jaw joint issues
- Brighten and whiten discoloured teeth using bleach
- Develop proper fitting and setting of crowns, bridges, and removable or permanent dentures
- Place and fit dental implants
- Fix Temporomandibular Joint Disorders, sleep and snoring disorders, or cleft palates
- Repair injuries, restore function, and aesthetics of mouth and teeth caused due to facial abnormalities, traumatic injuries, maxillofacial defects, and birth defects
- Perform comprehensive oral cancer reconstruction surgery
- Synchronize treatment arrangements with other dental or medical specialists to provide comprehensive and complete patient care
- Provide rehabilitative strategies and aftercare to cancer patients for troubled eating and communicating.
Abilities & aptitude needed
What are the skills, abilities & aptitude needed to become Prosthodontist?
- Along with understanding how to operate and set up complex machinery, Prosthodontics should value precision and accuracy and be comfortable working with equipment that requires careful monitoring.
- They must listen actively and communicate with patients to meet their requirements. They need to ask the right questions to interpret the information to find a diagnosis and recommend necessary treatment. They also regularly interact with other doctors and administrative staff Thus, having good communication, interpersonal, leadership, problem-solving, judgement, decision-making, and analytical skills is necessary.
They need to be skilled with their hands and work closely, safely, and effectively with needles and other instruments. Thus, good hand-eye coordination, manual dexterity, and fine motor skills are necessary. They must be detail-oriented patients and pay attention to the shape and colour of teeth to provide the correct treatment.
- In addition, they must follow all standard safety protocols and quality control standards in the laboratory and comprehend and follow all legal and health care processes.
- One must have physical stamina as they need to bend over for long periods for patient treatment and consultation.
Which course I can pursue?
Which are the best colleges to attend to become Prosthodontist?
All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
New Delhi | Ministry of health and family welfareNIRF Rank : 1
Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh
Chandigarh, Chandigarh | INC, MCI, UGCNIRF Rank : 2
Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research, Puducherry
Puducherry, | DCI, MCI, UGCNIRF Rank : 8
King George`s Medical University, Lucknow
Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh | UGC, NAAC-ANIRF Rank : 10
Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | Sri Ramachandra University (SRU)NIRF Rank : 11
Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi
New Delhi, DELHI | College of University of Delhi, DelhiNIRF Rank : 14
JSS Medical College, Mysore
Mysuru, Karnataka | Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, KarnatakaNIRF Rank : 17
Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal
Manipal, Karnataka | UGCNIRF Rank : 18
Christian Medical College, Ludhiana
Ludhiana, PUNJAB | College of Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, FaridkotNIRF Rank : 18
Siksha 'O' Anusandhan, Bhubaneswar
Bhuvaneshwar, Odisha | Biju Patnaik University of Technology,UGC,NAACNIRF Rank : 21
Meenakshi Academy of Higher Education and Research, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | Meenakshi Academy of Higher Education and Research, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 24
Regional Institute of Medical Sciences, Imphal West
Imphal, Manipur | College of Manipur University, ImphalNIRF Rank : 28
All India Institute of Medical Sciences
Bhubaneshwar, Odisha |NIRF Rank : 31
Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
Varanasi | ACU AIU NAAC UGCNIRF Rank : 39
Maharishi Markandeshwar University, Mullana
Mullana, Haryana | Maharishi Markandeshwar University, MullanaNIRF Rank : 41
Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | Sathyabama University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 47
Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
Thanesar, Haryana | UGCNIRF Rank : 53
JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research, Mysore
Mysuru | UGCNIRF Rank : 55
SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
Kattankulathur, Tamil Nadu | SRM University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 73
KLE Academy of Higher Education and Research, Belagavi
Belagavi | UGCNIRF Rank : 98
Manav Rachna International Institute of Research and Studies, Faridabad
Faridabad, Haryana | Manav Rachna International University, FaridabadNIRF Rank : 164
Which industries are open for Prosthodontist?
Ready to become Prosthodontist?
Take the world’s best assessment test !Take a free demo
Are there internships available for Prosthodontist?
What does the future look like for Prosthodontist?
Prosthodontics usually have their practice. They provide on-call or appointment-based consultation to their colleagues' patients based on a referral. They could also be practising as visiting doctors to their colleague's patients'. They could also practice in public or private hospitals, community set-ups, and other places.
Prosthodontics can specialise in the field of fixed, removable, maxillofacial, or implant prosthodontics as well as in esthetic dentistry, dentures or in the head, neck and facial abnormalities rehabilitation.
One can also work in educational or research institutions to teach aspirant physicians or perform medical research.
Explore related career
Finance And Accounts | 12th | CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT for Master’sSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Entertainment & Media | 12th | National School of Drama entranceSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACET Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACETSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Medicine & Allied Healthcare | 12thSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum