Who is Precious Metal Worker?
Precious Metal Workers produce jewellery or other metal goods such as goblets or candlesticks by casting, annealing, soldering, hammering, or shaping gold, silver, pewter, or other metals. They cut fine jewellery, including rings, brooches, bracelets, and lockets. Using gas torches, solder pieces together or fix holes and fractures using metal solder. Precious metal goods such as coffee pots, tea sets, and trays should be annealed in gas ovens for specific durations to soften the metal for reworking.
Typical day at work
What does Precious Metal Worker do?
Precious metal artisans use hand tools to form gold, silver, and other metals. Precious metal workers design and create jewellery, which they often sell. They may also repair antique jewellery and assess the worth of both gems and jewellery. A precious metal worker may also act as a consultant for insurance companies, preventing insurance fraud by evaluating and validating the material composition of objects.
- Design and create jewelry from precious metals and stones
- Examine and grade diamonds and other gems
- Clean and polish jewelry using polishing wheels and chemical baths
- Repair jewelry by replacing broken clasps, altering ring sizes, or resetting stones
- Smooth joints and rough spots and polish smoothed areas
- Compute the costs of labor and material for new pieces and repairs
- Model new pieces with carved wax or computer-aided design, and then cast them in metal
- Shape metal to hold the gems in pieces of jewelry
- Solder pieces together and insert stones
Abilities & aptitude needed
What are the skills, abilities & aptitude needed to become Precious Metal Worker?
- Artistic ability- Jewelers must be able to develop distinctive and stunning designs.
- Detail-oriented- Jewelers, precious stone and metal artisans, and metalsmiths must pay close attention to significant and tiny details on their creations.
- Dexterity- Jewelers, precious stone and metal artisans, and metalsmiths must be able to move their fingers and tools precisely to grab, handle, and assemble extremely tiny things.
- Fashion sense- Jewelry designers must be aware of what is fashionable and appealing and what is currently in demand by customers.
- Interpersonal skills- Whether selling items in shops or at craft exhibitions, jewellers and precious stone and metal professionals connect with clients.
- Near vision is required by jewellers, precious stone and metal workers, and those who deal with valuable stones and metals (within a few feet of the observer).
- Visualization abilities- Jewelers, precious stone and metal professionals must visualize how something will seem after its form has been changed or pieces have been rearranged.
Which course I can pursue?
Which are the best colleges to attend to become Precious Metal Worker?
Hindu College, Delhi
Delhi | Delhi UniversityNIRF Rank : 2
St. Stephen`s College, Delhi
New Delhi | UGC,DUNIRF Rank : 4
Hans Raj College, Delhi
Delhi | Delhi University,UGCNIRF Rank : 9
Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
Pune, Maharashtra | Savitribai Phule Pune University, PuneNIRF Rank : 10
St. Xavier`s College, Kolkata
Kolkata, West Bengal | UGCNIRF Rank : 10
Gargi College, Delhi
Delhi | Delhi University, UGCNIRF Rank : 12
Atma Ram Sanatan Dharm College, New Delhi
New Delhi | Delhi UniversityNIRF Rank : 14
National Institute of Technology Rourkela
Rourkela, Odisha | UGCNIRF Rank : 16
Deen Dayal Upadhyaya College.
New Delhi | UGC,Delhi UniversityNIRF Rank : 17
Kirori Mal College, Delhi
Delhi | University of DelhiNIRF Rank : 18
Sri Venkateswara College, Delhi
Delhi | Delhi UniversityNIRF Rank : 19
Banasthali Vidyapith, Banasthali
Jaipur, Rajasthan | UGCNIRF Rank : 19
Dyal Singh College, New Delhi
New Delhi | Delhi UniversityNIRF Rank : 20
Maharaja Agrasen College, Delhi
Delhi | University of DelhiNIRF Rank : 47
Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University, Raipur
Raipur, Chhattisgarh | UGCNIRF Rank : 48
Amity University, Gautam Budh Nagar
NOIDA | UGC?, ?NAAC?, ?WASC?, ?AIU?, ?ACUNIRF Rank : 49
Lovely Professional University, Phagwara
Phagwara, Punjab | UGC, AIU, PCI, NCTE, COA, ACBSP,NIRF Rank : 52
Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences, Allahabad
Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh | UGC, ACU AIU IAU IAUANIRF Rank : 56
Stella Maris College for Women, Chennai
Chennai | University of MadrasNIRF Rank : 58
Shoolini University of Biotechnology and Management Sciences, Solan
Solan, Himachal Pradesh | UGCNIRF Rank : 65
PEC University of Technology, Chandigarh
Chandigarh, Chandigarh | Panjab University, ChandigarhNIRF Rank : 78
Which industries are open for Precious Metal Worker?
Ready to become Precious Metal Worker?
Take the world’s best assessment test !Take a free demo
Are there internships available for Precious Metal Worker?
What does the future look like for Precious Metal Worker?
People who like hands-on work will enjoy this course. Some jewellers rise to managerial positions in the manufacturing industry, such as master jeweller or head jeweller. Jewellers who work in jewellery stores or repair businesses may advance to management positions. Some jewellers, precious stone and metal workers, and precious stone and metal workers operate from home and sell their wares at trade and craft events. Online sales are also becoming a more critical source of revenue for jewellers. Jewellers and precious stone and metal artisans spend most of their time seated or standing at a workstation or polishing station. Many self-employed people exhibit and sell their wares at trade and craft events during the weekends. Retail employees may also work irregular hours since they must be accessible when clients are not working on holidays and weekends.
Explore related career
Finance And Accounts | 12th | CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT for Master’sSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Entertainment & Media | 12th | National School of Drama entranceSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACET Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACETSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Medicine & Allied Healthcare | 12thSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum