Who is Police Detective?
An individual who is responsible for overseeing and coordinating a criminal investigation, along with offering guidance and expertise to solve it is known as a police detective. They are people who are hired by individuals or a group to investigate in various situations. They are often hired to find missing people, gather information, conduct surveillance to gain confidential information as well as to cooperate in solving crimes. They also ensure that the entire investigation is conducted according to laws and regulations. It is one of the most prestigious career choices in the society. They on the other hand, are very passionate about serving the country and society. The profession as a police detective requires a great physique as they are mostly involved in field work. They usually work in collaboration with other public service organizations like court officers, community groups, and local businesses. Police detectives can also work individually with private clients, corporations as well as investigation firms. They need to maintain logs for reports as well as detailed records that are way crucial in their detective's job as they need to present evidence.
Typical day at work
What does Police Detective do?
Detectives are trained cops that serve as Serious and Complex Crime Investigators or Specialist Investigators. They're in charge of a variety of investigations, including robbery, narcotics, domestic violence, public and child safety, corporate fraud, cybercrime, homicide, and counter-terrorism. Detectives work as equals in salary and status with their uniformed counterparts. In your area of responsibility, they supervise and undertake a variety of difficult investigations. They collect, verify, and evaluate all relevant and available data to get a thorough grasp of events and adhere to a pre-determined case investigation plan. They establish and assess investigative management plans, collaborate and communicate with workers at all levels, and make choices based on balancing risks, costs, rewards, and the overall impact. They employ cutting-edge technology to assist in investigations, analysing and interpreting data, and examining records and documents.
The role and responsibilities of a police officer are as followes:
- Interviewing the suspects and taking down their statements for references or evidence for the court.
- Need to maintain logs for future reference align with writing reports for court room cases as evidence.
- Gather evidences for a case, then deal with their paperwork along with submitting it to the court.
- Taking interviews of the people to gather information related to an investigation.
- To verify facts that are already known as information about an individual or a case.
- To look into crimes of IT sector as well as unfold computer bases thefts.
- Dig in to the previous records to uncover clues or references.
- Also conduct Survillnce on probable suspects as well as witnesses.
Abilities & aptitude needed
What are the skills, abilities & aptitude needed to become Police Detective?
- The career as a police detective requires a few mandatory skills that must be present to function well in this job. One of the most important ones are the active listening skills, as their job role requires them to be more auditory in nature to make notes for their investigations. This will also help them in asking relevant questions to their research and not interrupting the other person at inappropriate times. they also need a great sense of coordination to adjust their actions according to the team's actions.
- The ability to think critically is also required, as the use of logic and reasoning is required to get to the bottom of the case as well as to deal with the suspects if required. They must have a bold and daring personality along with great thinking ability, observation skills, decision making capabilities, communication skills as well as problem solving skills.
- They need to be very attentive,understanding, have a sound judgement, possess time management skills along with being responsible. Apart from this an additional skill set required is a thorough knowledge about laws that are being implemented in the country.
Which course I can pursue?
Which are the best colleges to attend to become Police Detective?
National Law School of India University, Bengaluru
Bengaluru, Karnataka | National Law School of India University, BangaloreNIRF Rank : 1
National Law University, New Delhi
New Delhi, Delhi | BCI; UGC; NAAC.NIRF Rank : 2
NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad
Hyderabad, Telangana | NALSAR University of Law, HyderabadNIRF Rank : 3
The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata
Kolkata | UGCNIRF Rank : 5
National Law University, Jodhpur
Jodhpur, Rajasthan | National Law University, JodhpurNIRF Rank : 6
Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
Manipal,karnataka | Medical Council of IndiaNIRF Rank : 7
Symbiosis Law School, Pune
Pune, Maharashtra | Symbiosis International University, PuneNIRF Rank : 7
The Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala
Sidhuwal, Punjab | UGCNIRF Rank : 10
Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
Pune, Maharashtra | Savitribai Phule Pune University, PuneNIRF Rank : 10
National Law Institute University, Bhopal
Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh | National Law Institute University, BhopalNIRF Rank : 11
Dr. B. R. Ambedkar College of Law, Visakhapatnam(ANDHRA UNIVERSITY)
Visakhapatnam, AP | Andra UniversityNIRF Rank : 15
JSS Medical College, Mysore
Mysuru, Karnataka | Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, KarnatakaNIRF Rank : 17
Punjabi University, Patiala
Patiala, Punjab | UGC, NAAC.AIUNIRF Rank : 18
Banasthali Vidyapith, Banasthali
Jaipur, Rajasthan | UGCNIRF Rank : 19
Symbiosis International University, Pune
Lavale, Maharashtra | Symbiosis International University, PuneNIRF Rank : 22
National University of Advanced Legal Studies (NUALS)
Kochi | UGCNIRF Rank : 26
Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur
Nagpur, Maharashtra | UGC,AIUNIRF Rank : 29
Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak
Rohtak, Haryana | UGC, NAAC-ANIRF Rank : 32
Shanmugha Arts Science Technology and Research Academy, Thanjavur
Thanjur, Tamil nadu | NAAC, UGC, NAAC-ANIRF Rank : 38
Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
Varanasi | ACU AIU NAAC UGCNIRF Rank : 39
Alliance University, Bengaluru
Bengaluru | UCCNIRF Rank : 42
Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore
Vellore | UGCNIRF Rank : 46
Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University, Raipur
Raipur, Chhattisgarh | UGCNIRF Rank : 48
Amity University, Gautam Budh Nagar
NOIDA | UGC?, ?NAAC?, ?WASC?, ?AIU?, ?ACUNIRF Rank : 49
Bethune College, Kolkata
Kolkata | ?University of CalcuttaNIRF Rank : 50
Lovely Professional University, Phagwara
Phagwara, Punjab | UGC, AIU, PCI, NCTE, COA, ACBSP,NIRF Rank : 52
VELS Institute of Science Technology and Advanced Studies, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | ?UGC NAACNIRF Rank : 52
Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences, Allahabad
Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh | UGC, ACU AIU IAU IAUANIRF Rank : 56
SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
Kattankulathur, Tamil Nadu | SRM University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 73
Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati
Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh | UGCNIRF Rank : 89
The Northcap University, Gurugram
Gurgaon, Haryana | BCI, NAAC, UGC, MHRD, AIUNIRF Rank : 117
Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, Nadia
Kolkata, West Bengal | Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, KolkataNIRF Rank : 165
Which industries are open for Police Detective?
Ready to become Police Detective?
Take the world’s best assessment test !Take a free demo
Are there internships available for Police Detective?
What does the future look like for Police Detective?
Even if the crime rates start to fall drastically, the demand for the services will either maintain or improve as public safety is expected to be the priority. Although there is a constant desire for the safety of the public, the demand for more officers is expected to change depending upon a specific location. To work as a police detective they usually receive additional perks such as paid sick leaves, holidays, insurance policies, retirement plans, pensions, etc. They get many honors and privileges for solving cases. This is a decent paying job that is respected throughout the country. Their primary responsibilities cover investigating criminal acts like armed robberies, home invasions, sexual assaults, burglary, etc. They are also expected to collect evidence and testify in court along with using forensic evidence for solving crime.
Explore related career
Finance And Accounts | 12th | CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT for Master’sSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Entertainment & Media | 12th | National School of Drama entranceSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACET Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACETSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Medicine & Allied Healthcare | 12thSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum