Who is Orthopaedic Technologist?
In acute and clinical settings, orthopaedic technicians/technologists are medically trained professionals who assist doctors and orthopaedic surgeons. They are plaster and synthetic cast application experts and are in charge of providing patients with information on this form of treatment. Orthopaedic technologists help with patient care and maybe in charge of paperwork as well.
Typical day at work
What does Orthopaedic Technologist do?
Orthopaedic technicians assist orthopaedic surgeons, who are doctors who have received specialized training in the treatment and operation of the skeletal system. Orthopaedic technicians assist with patient care and may also be in charge of the documentation. A typical day for an orthopaedic technician would include some or all of the following tasks: assisting in the operation of orthopaedic clinics by answering phone calls from patients; scheduling appointments; coordinating patient flow; rooming patients; and assisting with referrals to other services such as physical therapy.
Job description, Profiles, Roles and Duties:
- In charge of applying, adjusting and removing the cast
- Application of cast by utilizing plaster or synthetic materials
- Measurement and fitting orthopaedic equipment and ambulatory aids for patients
- Help in traction operation, maintenance and modification (skin, skeletal as well as manual)
- Use a sterile technique to take out sutures, k- wires, pins and external fixators
- Application and removal of dressings and assessing wound condition before further treatment
- Making and applying splints and bandages
- Educate the patient/family to take care of the cast, slab and skincare
- Strengthen physician's instructions of medical information on particular injury and treatment
- Ordering and maintaining various types of equipment
- Take care of orthopaedic supplies
- Elimination of sutures, staples, K-wires, pins and exterior fixators utilizing appropriate technique
- Team up, as needed, with other health practitioners like physicians, nurses, physiotherapists and occupational therapists
- Communicate with other departments (medical records, radiology) to acquire the resources required to support patient care
- Ensuring dignity and confidentiality of patients
- In charge of cataloguing and documenting precise notes and records
- Responsible for diagramming and documentation, and accurate records and notes
- Deliver other health coaching and demonstration of casting procedures to professionals (pupils, interns) on call
Abilities & aptitude needed
What are the skills, abilities & aptitude needed to become Orthopaedic Technologist?
- An orthopaedic technologist deals with patients and paperwork daily. A major chunk of the job entails the skill to gauge several situations and apply the technique that will best serve the patient. Communication skills are also critical in this role, to team up with other members of the healthcare team, mainly in the orthopaedic division, and sometimes, as is the skill to communicate with patients- particularly those who may be in discomfort or extreme pain.
- In addition to being experts in the various materials and tools involved in the application and removal of casts, splints, and braces, orthopaedic technologists must demonstrate a strong awareness of the terminologies involved in anatomy, physiology, and medicine.
- They have to demonstrate good interpersonal aptitude to work with patients and teach them to take care of their injuries and build positive relationships with patients/families. If an orthopaedic technician enters the operating room to help orthopaedic surgeons, he or she must be well-versed with protocols regarding sterilization and infection.
- The Orthopedic Technician/Technologist works under the provisions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and adheres to all guidelines, procedures, and provisions of health and safety recognized by management.
Which course I can pursue?
Which are the best colleges to attend to become Orthopaedic Technologist?
All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
New Delhi | Ministry of health and family welfareNIRF Rank : 1
Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh
Chandigarh, Chandigarh | INC, MCI, UGCNIRF Rank : 2
Christian Medical College, Vellore
Vellore | MCINIRF Rank : 3
Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
Manipal,karnataka | Medical Council of IndiaNIRF Rank : 7
Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research, Puducherry
Puducherry, | DCI, MCI, UGCNIRF Rank : 8
Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
Pune, Maharashtra | Savitribai Phule Pune University, PuneNIRF Rank : 10
King George`s Medical University, Lucknow
Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh | UGC, NAAC-ANIRF Rank : 10
Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | Sri Ramachandra University (SRU)NIRF Rank : 11
St. John's Medical College, Bengaluru
Bengaluru, Karnataka | College of Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, BangaloreNIRF Rank : 12
Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi
New Delhi, DELHI | College of University of Delhi, DelhiNIRF Rank : 14
JSS Medical College, Mysore
Mysuru, Karnataka | Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, KarnatakaNIRF Rank : 17
Punjabi University, Patiala
Patiala, Punjab | UGC, NAAC.AIUNIRF Rank : 18
Christian Medical College, Ludhiana
Ludhiana, PUNJAB | College of Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, FaridkotNIRF Rank : 18
Vardhman Mahavir Medical College and Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi
New Delhi, Delhi | Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University.NIRF Rank : 19
Siksha 'O' Anusandhan, Bhubaneswar
Bhuvaneshwar, Odisha | Biju Patnaik University of Technology,UGC,NAACNIRF Rank : 21
Symbiosis International University, Pune
Lavale, Maharashtra | Symbiosis International University, PuneNIRF Rank : 22
University College of Medical Sciences, Delhi
Dilshad Garden, New Delhi | MCINIRF Rank : 23
Dayanand Medical College, Ludhiana
Ludhiana, NEW DELHI | MCINIRF Rank : 24
Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Chennai
Velappanchavadi, Chennai | MCINIRF Rank : 25
M. S. Ramaiah Medical College, Bengaluru
Bengaluru, Karnataka | Rajiv Gandhi UniversityNIRF Rank : 27
Regional Institute of Medical Sciences, Imphal West
Imphal, Manipur | College of Manipur University, ImphalNIRF Rank : 28
Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences, Tirupati
Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh | MCINIRF Rank : 29
All India Institute of Medical Sciences
Bhubaneshwar, Odisha |NIRF Rank : 31
Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
Varanasi | ACU AIU NAAC UGCNIRF Rank : 39
Maharishi Markandeshwar University, Mullana
Mullana, Haryana | Maharishi Markandeshwar University, MullanaNIRF Rank : 41
Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences Deemed University, Karad
Malkapur, Maharashtra | Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences Deemed University, KaradNIRF Rank : 42
Mahatma Gandhi Medical College and Research Institute
Pondicherry, Puducherry | College of Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth, PondicherryNIRF Rank : 46
Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam, Tirupathi
Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh | UGCNIRF Rank : 46
Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College
Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh | Aligarh Muslim UniversityNIRF Rank : 47
Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | Sathyabama University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 47
Amity University, Gautam Budh Nagar
NOIDA | UGC?, ?NAAC?, ?WASC?, ?AIU?, ?ACUNIRF Rank : 49
VELS Institute of Science Technology and Advanced Studies, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | ?UGC NAACNIRF Rank : 52
Lovely Professional University, Phagwara
Phagwara, Punjab | UGC, AIU, PCI, NCTE, COA, ACBSP,NIRF Rank : 52
Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
Thanesar, Haryana | UGCNIRF Rank : 53
JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research, Mysore
Mysuru | UGCNIRF Rank : 55
Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences, Allahabad
Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh | UGC, ACU AIU IAU IAUANIRF Rank : 56
SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
Kattankulathur, Tamil Nadu | SRM University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 73
KLE Academy of Higher Education and Research, Belagavi
Belagavi | UGCNIRF Rank : 98
Manav Rachna International Institute of Research and Studies, Faridabad
Faridabad, Haryana | Manav Rachna International University, FaridabadNIRF Rank : 164
Which industries are open for Orthopaedic Technologist?
Ready to become Orthopaedic Technologist?
Take the world’s best assessment test !Take a free demo
Are there internships available for Orthopaedic Technologist?
What does the future look like for Orthopaedic Technologist?
Orthopaedic technologist jobs are available in settings involving orthopaedic clinics, the offices of orthopaedic physicians or surgeons, or the emergency departments of hospitals.
An orthopaedic technologist’s salary is contingent on aspects like their educational level, their level of experience, where they are working, their specific job tasks, and many others.
Explore related career
Finance And Accounts | 12th | CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT for Master’sSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Entertainment & Media | 12th | National School of Drama entranceSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACET Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACETSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Medicine & Allied Healthcare | 12thSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum