Who is Occupational Therapy Aid?
An occupational therapy aide (OT Aide) arranges and organizes supplies and tools for occupational therapists (OTs) and their assistants (OTAs). They frequently assist patients in returning from and to treatment rooms. Occupational therapy includes rehabilitation of individuals who have lost their capacity to perform everyday life tasks due to disease, accident or impairment. Occupational therapy aides typically execute support tasks, are not explicitly involved with the patient and are regulated by the occupational therapist. They aid in setting up gear and doing various administrative duties. Furthermore, occupational therapy aides carry out an array of administrative duties. Occupational therapist aides aren't permitted; they are not required by law to play a broad exhibit of undertakings performed by occupational therapist assistants along these lines.
Typical day at work
What does Occupational Therapy Aid do?
Occupational therapists employ customized equipment and the therapeutic use of everyday activities to treat disabled, sick, or damaged patients. They help patients improve, regain and develop the skills needed for day-to-day life and work. Their job involves assessing a patient's home and work environment and recommending adaptations to fit their needs and improve independence.
Job description, Profiles, Roles and Duties:
- Observe the attendance, improvement, attitudes and achievements of patients and document and hold information in client records
- Inspire patients and cater to their physical requirements to promote the achievement of therapeutic goals
- Report orally or in writing to managers or clinicians, on the development, behavior, participation and accomplishments of the patients
- Take care of intradepartmental infection control and safety of the equipment
- Assess the living skills and capabilities of clients with physical, psychological, or emotional disabilities
- Organize and maintain work environment, supplies and equipment, and keep an inventory of treatment and informative materials
- Transfer clients to and from the place of practice of occupational therapy
- Educate patients and their families in health, social and living abilities, safety and use of adaptive equipment and other resources to promote adaptation to the condition at home and work
- Help occupational therapists with the planning, implementation and administration of therapy programs to reinstate, strengthen and improve performance, utilizing selected tasks and special equipment
- Demonstrate rehabilitation methods, like creative and manual arts and games
- Regulate and mend supporting devices, and make adaptive modifications to other tools and environments
- Carry out clerical, administrative and secretarial tasks, like answering telephones, replenishing and ordering materials, completing paperwork and arranging appointments
- Aid educational experts or clinical psychologists in the administration of situational or diagnostic assessments to measure or advance client abilities
- Go along with patients on outings and provide transport if necessary.
- Sanitize areas and equipment for treatment
- Assist patients with insurance and billing forms
Abilities & aptitude needed
What are the skills, abilities & aptitude needed to become Occupational Therapy Aid?
- In addition to medical school graduation and certification, occupational therapy aides require basic soft skills to excel in this profession. An occupational therapy aide must wish to help. An excellent occupational therapy aide will also respect their clients' privacy and susceptibilities and not reveal or chatter any confidential information.
- Occupational therapy aides also work with patients dealing with many of the fundamental tasks of life. They should, therefore, be empathetic and compassionate and encourage others. Occupational therapy aides spend a great deal of their time engaging with patients and should, therefore, be polite and effectively interact with patients and their families to the degree of their experience.
- Occupational therapy aides must obey an occupational therapist's orders effortlessly and correctly, written as well as spoken. Additionally, aides must pay attention to details, like assisting a patient fill an insurance form when carrying out clerical activities.
- While treating patients, they do need to be versatile. Since not every form of therapy will work with every patient, they need to be innovative when collaborating with occupational therapists to decide the best type of therapy to use to accomplish the goals of a patient.
- Aides need a reasonable degree of strength due to the physical exertion needed for patient assistance. The work also involves frequent bending, stooping, and standing for long times.
Which course I can pursue?
Which are the best colleges to attend to become Occupational Therapy Aid?
Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh
Chandigarh, Chandigarh | INC, MCI, UGCNIRF Rank : 2
Christian Medical College, Vellore
Vellore | MCINIRF Rank : 3
Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | Sri Ramachandra University (SRU)NIRF Rank : 11
St. John's Medical College, Bengaluru
Bengaluru, Karnataka | College of Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, BangaloreNIRF Rank : 12
JSS Medical College, Mysore
Mysuru, Karnataka | Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, KarnatakaNIRF Rank : 17
Punjabi University, Patiala
Patiala, Punjab | UGC, NAAC.AIUNIRF Rank : 18
Christian Medical College, Ludhiana
Ludhiana, PUNJAB | College of Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, FaridkotNIRF Rank : 18
PSGR Krishnammal College for Women, Coimbatore
Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu | Bharathiar University, CoimbatoreNIRF Rank : 22
Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Chennai
Velappanchavadi, Chennai | MCINIRF Rank : 25
M. S. Ramaiah Medical College, Bengaluru
Bengaluru, Karnataka | Rajiv Gandhi UniversityNIRF Rank : 27
Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences, Tirupati
Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh | MCINIRF Rank : 29
Lovely Professional University
Delhi | University Grants Commission (UGC)NIRF Rank : 38
Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
Varanasi | ACU AIU NAAC UGCNIRF Rank : 39
Maharishi Markandeshwar University, Mullana
Mullana, Haryana | Maharishi Markandeshwar University, MullanaNIRF Rank : 41
Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences Deemed University, Karad
Malkapur, Maharashtra | Krishna Institute of Medical Sciences Deemed University, KaradNIRF Rank : 42
Mahatma Gandhi Medical College and Research Institute
Pondicherry, Puducherry | College of Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth, PondicherryNIRF Rank : 46
Amity University, Gautam Budh Nagar
NOIDA | UGC?, ?NAAC?, ?WASC?, ?AIU?, ?ACUNIRF Rank : 49
Lovely Professional University, Phagwara
Phagwara, Punjab | UGC, AIU, PCI, NCTE, COA, ACBSP,NIRF Rank : 52
VELS Institute of Science Technology and Advanced Studies, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | ?UGC NAACNIRF Rank : 52
Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences, Allahabad
Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh | UGC, ACU AIU IAU IAUANIRF Rank : 56
SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
Kattankulathur, Tamil Nadu | SRM University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 73
St. Xavier's College, Mumbai
Mumbai, Maharashtra | University of MumbaiNIRF Rank : 96
KLE Academy of Higher Education and Research, Belagavi
Belagavi | UGCNIRF Rank : 98
Manav Rachna International Institute of Research and Studies, Faridabad
Faridabad, Haryana | Manav Rachna International University, FaridabadNIRF Rank : 164
Which industries are open for Occupational Therapy Aid?
Ready to become Occupational Therapy Aid?
Take the world’s best assessment test !Take a free demo
Are there internships available for Occupational Therapy Aid?
What does the future look like for Occupational Therapy Aid?
An occupational therapy aide jobs are available in offices, mind offices, healing centers, or others are employed in instructive administration or social help.
Occupational therapy aides work mainly in the physical, speech and occupational therapists and audiologists offices, in educational institutions, hospitals, and in nursing and home health care centers too.
Explore related career
Finance And Accounts | 12th | CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT for Master’sSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Entertainment & Media | 12th | National School of Drama entranceSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACET Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACETSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Medicine & Allied Healthcare | 12thSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum