Who is Molecular and Cellular Biologist?
Molecular cell biology is a branch of biology, which is a relatively new field compared to other fields of study. Cellular and molecular biology is an evolving interdisciplinary field, which aims to link varied fields of chemistry, structure, and biology. Molecular and Cellular Biologists are responsible for studying and researching the structure, properties, processes, and functions of cellular molecules and organelles.
Research and study cellular molecules and organelles to understand cell function and organization. Molecular and cellular biologists typically perform research and maintain accurate laboratory records and data. Create, execute or oversee and analyze molecular or cellular laboratory experiments. This field is often closely linked with biochemistry, in which the chemical reactions of biological molecules are looked at.
Typical day at work
What does Molecular and Cellular Biologist do?
Molecular and Cellular Biologists conduct research and study cellular molecules and organelles in order to better understand how cells work and organise their structures and functions. Molecular biologists are scientists who research the biochemical processes that take place within the cells of living organisms such as animals, humans, plants, and other things. They carry out tests involving the molecular genetics of cells in order to further their research, and they write up a report on the results of their experiments.
- Maintain accurate laboratory records and technical and scientific database
- Design experiments, supervise their execution, and interpret results
- Accumulate and examine experimental data and modify experimental designs as necessary
- Conduct research on cell organization and function, comprising mechanisms of gene expression, cellular bio-informatics, cell signaling, or cell differentiation
- Teach, supervise, and mentor technical personnel and postdoctoral research fellows
- Perform laboratory procedures like deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) sequencing, cloning and extraction, ribonucleic acid (RNA) purification, or gel electrophoresis
- Direct, manage, organize, or prioritize laboratory activities
- Prepare reports, documents, and presentations
- Check and operate specialized equipment like gas chroma-tographs and high pressure liquid chroma-tographs, electrophoresis units, thermocyclers, fluorescence activated cell sorters, and phosphorimagers
- Develop research methods that monitor cell characteristics
- Assess new technologies to enhance or complement current research
- Provide scientific direction for the evaluation or handling of devices, drugs, or cells for in vitro and in vivo disease models
- Devise guidelines for procedures for the management of viruses
- Gauge new supplies and equipment to ensure operability
- Authenticate the planned use of all financial, physical, and human resources assigned to research or projects
- Conduct research aimed at developments in areas of disease testing, crop quality, pharmaceuticals, and the harnessing of microbes to recycle waste
- Participate in the development of bio-product like proposing new products, conducting market analyses, designing and performing experiments, and collaborating with operations and quality control teams during product launches
- Design molecular or cellular laboratory experiments, oversee their execution, and interpret results
- Compile and analyze molecular or cellular experimental data and adjust experimental designs as necessary
- Conduct research on cell organization and function, including mechanisms of gene expression, cellular bio-informatics, cell signaling, or cell differentiation
- Supervise technical personnel and postdoctoral research fellows
- Direct, coordinate, organize, or prioritize biological laboratory activities.
Abilities & aptitude needed
What are the skills, abilities & aptitude needed to become Molecular and Cellular Biologist?
- Along with understanding how to operate and set up complex laboratory machinery, molecular and cellular biologists should value precision and be comfortable working with equipment that requires careful monitoring.
- They tend to be investigative, intellectual, introspective, and inquisitive individuals. They are curious, methodical, scientific, rational, and analytical. They must be able to manage time and prioritize tasks effectively while maintaining the quality of work.
- They must follow exact instructions so that the tests or procedures are performed correctly. They need to be skilled with their hands and work closely, safely, and effectively with needles, chemicals, and other laboratory instruments.
- They must also practice all standard safety procedures and quality control principles in the laboratory and understand and abide by legal and health care procedures.
- Molecular and Cellular Biologists should be able to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, their research processes and findings. They usually work in or lead research teams and must be able to motivate and direct other team members, thus, interpersonal skills are necessary.
- In order to conduct and monitor scientific experiments and analyses with accuracy and precision, Molecular and Cellular Biologists must have excellent observational skills and be detail-oriented in their approach. Because research involves trial and error, students will need to be patient and not grow discouraged during their work. They will also need to be creative in their thinking.
- They need to have logical reasoning, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills to find solutions to complex scientific problems and draw conclusions from experimental results through sound reasoning and judgment.
Which course I can pursue?
Which are the best colleges to attend to become Molecular and Cellular Biologist?
All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
New Delhi | Ministry of health and family welfareNIRF Rank : 1
Hindu College, Delhi
Delhi | Delhi UniversityNIRF Rank : 2
Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences, New Delhi
New Delhi, Delhi | Nation Capital Territory,UGCNIRF Rank : 9
Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | Sri Ramachandra University (SRU)NIRF Rank : 11
JSS Medical College, Mysore
Mysuru, Karnataka | Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, KarnatakaNIRF Rank : 17
Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Vadodara
Vadodara, Gujarat | U.G.C, N.A.A.CNIRF Rank : 17
Punjabi University, Patiala
Patiala, Punjab | UGC, NAAC.AIUNIRF Rank : 18
Sri Venkateswara College, Delhi
Delhi | Delhi UniversityNIRF Rank : 19
Banasthali Vidyapith, Banasthali
Jaipur, Rajasthan | UGCNIRF Rank : 19
Siksha 'O' Anusandhan, Bhubaneswar
Bhuvaneshwar, Odisha | Biju Patnaik University of Technology,UGC,NAACNIRF Rank : 21
Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur
Nagpur, Maharashtra | UGC,AIUNIRF Rank : 29
Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak
Rohtak, Haryana | UGC, NAAC-ANIRF Rank : 32
Shanmugha Arts Science Technology and Research Academy, Thanjavur
Thanjur, Tamil nadu | NAAC, UGC, NAAC-ANIRF Rank : 38
Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
Varanasi | ACU AIU NAAC UGCNIRF Rank : 39
Amity University, Gautam Budh Nagar
NOIDA | UGC?, ?NAAC?, ?WASC?, ?AIU?, ?ACUNIRF Rank : 49
Lovely Professional University, Phagwara
Phagwara, Punjab | UGC, AIU, PCI, NCTE, COA, ACBSP,NIRF Rank : 52
Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
Thanesar, Haryana | UGCNIRF Rank : 53
JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research, Mysore
Mysuru | UGCNIRF Rank : 55
Koneru Lakshmaiah Education Foundation University(K L College of Engineering), Vaddeswaram
Guntur, Andhra Pradesh | University Grants Commission, All India Council for Technical EducationNIRF Rank : 58
TKM College of Arts and Science, Kollam
Kollam | KU, ThiruvananthapuramNIRF Rank : 80
St. Xavier's College, Mumbai
Mumbai, Maharashtra | University of MumbaiNIRF Rank : 96
Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai
Chennai | UGCNIRF Rank : 99
Rajalakshmi Engineering College, Chennai
Mevalurkuppam, Tamil Nadu | Anna University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 139
Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, Nadia
Kolkata, West Bengal | Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, KolkataNIRF Rank : 165
Which industries are open for Molecular and Cellular Biologist?
· Colleges and universities
· Engineering consulting firms
· Environmental consulting firms
· Federal, provincial/state/territorial, and municipal government departments
· Non-governmental organizations
· Research institutions
Ready to become Molecular and Cellular Biologist?
Take the world’s best assessment test !Take a free demo
Are there internships available for Molecular and Cellular Biologist?
Internships are an important step towards finding a job after graduation. It help you learn about companies in your field, help you develop your own professional working skills, and provide an opportunity for hands on experience.
What does the future look like for Molecular and Cellular Biologist?
- Molecular and Cellular Biologists usually work in clean and organized laboratories. They work as laboratory team members and are under the supervision of a pathologist.
- They can work for, hospitals, doctors' offices, clinical pathology labs, veterinary services, private research labs, pharmaceutical companies, government agencies, private medical laboratories, public health facilities, educational institutions, or forensic pathology.
- They often work 8-hour shifts; however, the shifts may be flexible. Technologists can be asked to work overtime at times. They are usually seated looking through microscopes.
- Job prospects for Molecular or Cellular Biologists have been improving steadily since 2004, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. During that time period, the number of available positions in this field expanded by 16.23 percent nationwide, with an average annual growth rate of 2.71 percent. There will be an increase in demand for Molecular and Cellular Biologists, with a projected increase of 7,170 new jobs filled by 2018. Over the following three years, this indicates a 2.95 percent yearly increase in the cost of living.
Explore related career
Finance And Accounts | 12th | CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT for Master’sSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Entertainment & Media | 12th | National School of Drama entranceSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACET Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACETSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Medicine & Allied Healthcare | 12thSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum