Who is Model Maker (Metal and Plastic)?
Model makers set up and run machineries such as lathes, milling and engraving machines, jig borers, drill presses, punch presses, or band saws to build and create functioning prototypes of metal or plastic products. They take an idea from drawings, plans, photographs, and lists of figures or specifications to make three dimensional (3D) full-size and scale models (or mock-ups) of landscape, engineering, architectural, automotive, and other industrial designs using materials like metal, wood, plastic, clay, card, resin and plaster. The models are used for information and preliminary designs or blueprints to bring a concept into reality and assist designers in visualising how a project will look or work even before it is finished.
Typical day at work
What does Model Maker (Metal and Plastic) do?
Model Makers make, design, and build tools and components from various materials such as wood and plastic. Models are created using blueprints, sketches, and/or CAD designs in accordance with set requirements. In addition, a Model Maker may perform minor repairs to model-making machines. They also set up and operate machines, such as lathes, milling, engraving machines, and jig borers to make working models of metal or plastic objects.
- Review blueprints, drawings, and sketches to determine dimensions of the material, equipment needed, and operation sequences
- Check and test products to ensure compliance with requirements, using appropriate measuring instruments or circuit testing equipment
- Drill, countersink, and ream holes for bolts, screws, and other fasteners in parts and assemblies, using power tools
- Cut, shape, and form metal parts, using lathes, power saws, snips, power brakes and shears, files, and mallets
- Establish and operate equipment for the manufacture of prototypes or models
- Design and build tools, dies, molds, jigs and fittings, or change existing tools and equipment
- Rework or modify model or parts of the system as needed to confirm that products meet requirements
- Grind, file, and sand parts to completed dimensions
- Program computer numerical control (CNC) machines to produce parts of the model
- Use measuring instruments and drawing or scribing devices to lay out and mark reference points and measurements on materials
- Align, attach, and join components, using screws and bolts or by welding or gluing
- Produce model parts using software or hardware such as computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-aided manufacturing (CAM)
- Assemble mechanical, electrical, and electronic parts in models or prototypes with hand tools, power tools, and manufacturing machines
- Consult and discuss technical issues with engineering personnel, and propose product modifications
- Document requirements, production processes, and final measurements of models to be used in setting operating standards and procedures
- Address briefing with and consult designer or customer by looking at drawings, drafts or samples about specifications
- Illustrate changes or initial ideas using freehand drawing skills or computer-aided design (CAD)
- Create working models with moving parts using electronics or mechanical methods
- Complete the model with using paint, varnish, and other finishes
- Meet local or national design standards
- Set-up, adjust, repair and troubleshoot machines which produce plastics products
- Use computerised techniques like laser cutting or 3D printing to get the right size and shape for components of the model.
Abilities & aptitude needed
What are the skills, abilities & aptitude needed to become Model Maker (Metal and Plastic)?
- Along with creativity, a model must possess the ability to juggle many work tasks together efficiently and promptly. One must have creative thinking with problem-solving abilities to execute a well-crafted idea. In addition, they need good communication skills, both verbal and written form.
- One must also be skilled in presentation and the use of specialised graphic design, computer software necessary to prepare designs. Another technical ability, like using construction tools, reading blueprints, drawing set sketches, and constructing set models, is also essential.
- Since model makers have to handcraft products, thus must have adequate manual dexterity abilities to safely and efficiently use tools and materials to create the models. Thus, aspiring model makers must also have an incredible eye for detail and careful equipment monitoring.
- They must also possess knowledge of the materials and supplies, such as metals and plastic, with their practical applications and unique challenges they choose to work with and make their products.
- A successful model maker must have the ability to visualise a concept, judge, and choose appropriate colours and designs that translate the ideas into illustrations. In addition, it will necessitate you to make full use of your creative capacity, ingenuity, and aesthetic expression, as they will be required to change their style if necessary. As a result, they must be adaptable and open to criticism.
- They must have physical stamina because they may be on their feet for an extended period. They should also be adaptable enough to function in a variety of settings. They must manage time and prioritise tasks effectively while maintaining the quality of work.
- They must also possess the abilities of self-promotion and self-motivation and the ability to work to deadlines. Lastly, one needs to know basic business know-how and be good at communicating and negotiating with clients.
Which course I can pursue?
Which are the best colleges to attend to become Model Maker (Metal and Plastic)?
Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
Pune, Maharashtra | Savitribai Phule Pune University, PuneNIRF Rank : 10
Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology, Bhopal
Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh | AICTE, NBANIRF Rank : 14
Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur
Nagpur, Maharashtra | UGC,AIUNIRF Rank : 29
PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore
Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu | Anna University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 37
Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore
Vellore | UGCNIRF Rank : 46
Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam, Tirupathi
Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh | UGCNIRF Rank : 46
Koneru Lakshmaiah Education Foundation University(K L College of Engineering), Vaddeswaram
Guntur, Andhra Pradesh | University Grants Commission, All India Council for Technical EducationNIRF Rank : 58
SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
Kattankulathur, Tamil Nadu | SRM University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 73
IK Gujral Punjab Technical University, Kapurthala
jalandhar | UGC, AICTENIRF Rank : 96
Sri Krishna College of Engineering and Technology, Coimbatore
Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu | Anna University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 97
Which industries are open for Model Maker (Metal and Plastic)?
Ready to become Model Maker (Metal and Plastic)?
Take the world’s best assessment test !Take a free demo
Are there internships available for Model Maker (Metal and Plastic)?
What does the future look like for Model Maker (Metal and Plastic)?
- Model makers will usually work with others in the initial phases of their job. Once they have the design, they work alone in their own shop, workshop, or studio to create three-dimensional models.
- As a self-employed model maker, one could be an agent for other model makers. Most of them work on a contractual basis.
- Model makers work with industrial research, design and development laboratories, or companies that undertake engineering, construction, topographical models, promotional displays, stage props, and sculptures.
- Model makers are essential in the artistic and design process for many different fields.
- Architectural design, to produce scale models of initial design or blueprint to help see the areas of improvement in the project
- Product design, to develop new product models for design testing before production starts. Visual effects design, develop models used in special effects or to illustrate set designs in TV, film, and theatre.
Explore related career
Finance And Accounts | 12th | CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT for Master’sSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Entertainment & Media | 12th | National School of Drama entranceSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACET Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACETSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Medicine & Allied Healthcare | 12thSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum