Who is Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technician?
Medical and clinical laboratory technologists operate in laboratories, aiding health professionals by conducting standard medical laboratory tests on blood, tissue, and other body fluids and evaluating the findings to diagnose, prevent, and treat patients. Both technicians and technologists perform tests and procedures ordered by physicians, surgeons, and other members of the healthcare team. Medical and clinical laboratory technicians typically report to medical laboratory technologists or laboratory managers.
Typical day at work
What does Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technician do?
The Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technician work include executing laboratory tests in toxicology, chemistry, haematology, immunology, and microbiology labs; as well as receiving, typing, testing, and documenting blood bank stocks. They use refined scientific methods to conduct experiments under defined conditions in order to verify/reject various types of hypotheses.
- Ensure one-time use of needles or syringes and dispose the contaminated instruments after use
- Ensure sanitization and sterilization of blood-drawing trays and other lab equipment
- Discuss and forward the test sample results to physicians to make diagnosis
- Matching laboratory requirement forms to specimen tubes and correctly label the samples
- Blood or other bio-hazard products or tissues disposal in compliance with relevant rules, guidelines or policies
- Administer blood alcohol, blood culture, drug levels, etc. testing
- Input patient, test sample, insurance, or accounting information into database
- Verify identity of the patient or donor to confirm accurate sample testing and labelling
- Perform chemical analysis on urine, blood, and other bodily fluids or tissue samples, using a microscope or automatic analyzer to record findings or determine diagnosis
- Draw blood or tissue samples using various procedures
- Perform blood tests and study samples for blood count, transfusion, cell morphology, identify blood group, blood type, and other blood type compatibility
- Analyze test results, record data, draft reports using charts, graphs, or narratives
- Develop standardized reagents or volumetric solutions by following experimental procedures or standard formulas for sample combination
- Inoculate organisms with fertilized eggs, broths, or other bacteriological media
- Mount, cut, freeze, or stain tissue specimens for examination
- Stain specimens of tissue with dyes or other chemicals for visibility of cell details under microscopes
- Clean and maintain lab environment and safety equipment based on manufacturer’s instructions as well as quality, health, and safety industry standards
- Manage inventory of supplies, material, and equipment
- Plan and conduct research projects for disease cure or control
- Analyze microorganisms by obtaining samples, cultivation, isolation, and identification.
Abilities & aptitude needed
What are the skills, abilities & aptitude needed to become Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technician?
- Along with a basic knowledge of how to operate and set up sophisticated laboratory technology, medical and clinical laboratory technicians should appreciate accuracy and be comfortable dealing with equipment such as needles that needs close monitoring. They must be familiar with anatomy and blood collecting techniques. It is advantageous to be able to comprehend electronic medical health records and to possess basic computer abilities.
- To perform operations with accuracy and precision, medical and clinical lab technicians must be well-organized, possess observation abilities, and be detail focused. They must be able to reason logically, analyse critically, and solve problems, as well as have excellent reasoning and judgement. They are folks who are investigative, intelligent, introspective, inquiring, methodical, scientific, logical, analytic, and inquisitive.
- They must adhere to precise instructions in order to complete the tests or processes successfully. They must have strong manual dexterity and the ability to work intimately, safely, and successfully with needles, chemicals, and other laboratory tools. Thus, it is vital to have high hand-eye coordination, manual dexterity, and fine motor abilities.
- Additionally, they must adhere to all standard safety and quality control standards in the laboratory, as well as comprehend and follow all legal and health care processes. They must be able to properly manage their time and prioritise projects while keeping a high standard of work. They must operate swiftly and precisely under duress in order to produce outcomes while the patient is undergoing surgery.
- They should be able to communicate well, both vocally and in writing, and possess interpersonal skills. Medical and laboratory technologists must be empathetic and sensitive toward patients' nervousness and dread of needles; they must also demonstrate empathy in order to reassure the patient.
Which course I can pursue?
Which are the best colleges to attend to become Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technician?
All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
New Delhi | Ministry of health and family welfareNIRF Rank : 1
Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh
Chandigarh, Chandigarh | INC, MCI, UGCNIRF Rank : 2
Christian Medical College, Vellore
Vellore | MCINIRF Rank : 3
Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research, Puducherry
Puducherry, | DCI, MCI, UGCNIRF Rank : 8
King George`s Medical University, Lucknow
Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh | UGC, NAAC-ANIRF Rank : 10
Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
Pune, Maharashtra | Savitribai Phule Pune University, PuneNIRF Rank : 10
Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | Sri Ramachandra University (SRU)NIRF Rank : 11
St. John's Medical College, Bengaluru
Bengaluru, Karnataka | College of Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, BangaloreNIRF Rank : 12
Madras Christian College, Chennai
Chennai | University of MadrasNIRF Rank : 13
Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi
New Delhi, DELHI | College of University of Delhi, DelhiNIRF Rank : 14
JSS Medical College, Mysore
Mysuru, Karnataka | Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, KarnatakaNIRF Rank : 17
Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal
Manipal, Karnataka | UGCNIRF Rank : 18
Christian Medical College, Ludhiana
Ludhiana, PUNJAB | College of Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, FaridkotNIRF Rank : 18
Banasthali Vidyapith, Banasthali
Jaipur, Rajasthan | UGCNIRF Rank : 19
Siksha 'O' Anusandhan, Bhubaneswar
Bhuvaneshwar, Odisha | Biju Patnaik University of Technology,UGC,NAACNIRF Rank : 21
Symbiosis International University, Pune
Lavale, Maharashtra | Symbiosis International University, PuneNIRF Rank : 22
Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Chennai
Velappanchavadi, Chennai | MCINIRF Rank : 25
Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur
Nagpur, Maharashtra | UGC,AIUNIRF Rank : 29
Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences, Tirupati
Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh | MCINIRF Rank : 29
Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
Varanasi | ACU AIU NAAC UGCNIRF Rank : 39
Maharishi Markandeshwar University, Mullana
Mullana, Haryana | Maharishi Markandeshwar University, MullanaNIRF Rank : 41
Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam, Tirupathi
Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh | UGCNIRF Rank : 46
Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | Sathyabama University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 47
Amity University, Gautam Budh Nagar
NOIDA | UGC?, ?NAAC?, ?WASC?, ?AIU?, ?ACUNIRF Rank : 49
Lovely Professional University, Phagwara
Phagwara, Punjab | UGC, AIU, PCI, NCTE, COA, ACBSP,NIRF Rank : 52
JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research, Mysore
Mysuru | UGCNIRF Rank : 55
Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences, Allahabad
Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh | UGC, ACU AIU IAU IAUANIRF Rank : 56
Silver Jubilee Degree College, Kurnool
Kurnool | Rayalaseema UniversityNIRF Rank : 66
NSHM Knowledge Campus, Kolkata
Kolkata, West Bengal | Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, KolkataNIRF Rank : 68
Farook College, Kozhikode
Kozhikode, Kerala | CALICUT UNIVERSITY, CALICUTNIRF Rank : 71
SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
Kattankulathur, Tamil Nadu | SRM University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 73
Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati
Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh | UGCNIRF Rank : 89
Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science, Chennai
Chennai | NAAC; UGCNIRF Rank : 95
IK Gujral Punjab Technical University, Kapurthala
jalandhar | UGC, AICTENIRF Rank : 96
KLE Academy of Higher Education and Research, Belagavi
Belagavi | UGCNIRF Rank : 98
Muthurangam Govt. Arts College, Vellore
Vellore, Tamil Nadu | Thiruvalluvar University, VelloreNIRF Rank : 98
Rajalakshmi Engineering College, Chennai
Mevalurkuppam, Tamil Nadu | Anna University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 139
Manav Rachna International Institute of Research and Studies, Faridabad
Faridabad, Haryana | Manav Rachna International University, FaridabadNIRF Rank : 164
Which industries are open for Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technician?
Ready to become Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technician?
Take the world’s best assessment test !Take a free demo
Are there internships available for Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technician?
What does the future look like for Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technician?
Medical and clinical laboratory technicians might work in clinical labs, hospitals, community health centres, ambulatory services, physician's private practise, research and development institutions, and blood donation campaigns, among other health care settings. Medical and laboratory technologists monitor them. They are sometimes required to go visit patients who are unable to leave their homes in order to get blood samples. They often work eight-hour shifts, although their schedules may be flexible. One may specialise in one of many areas of laboratory technology, including microbiology, immunology, or human chemistry.
Explore related career
Finance And Accounts | 12th | CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT for Master’sSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Entertainment & Media | 12th | National School of Drama entranceSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACET Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACETSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Medicine & Allied Healthcare | 12thSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum