Who is Health Information Manager?
Health Information Management is a field that cartel knowledge of healthcare processes, administration, information and human resource management to gather, examine and to electronically protect health records and data related with patient care that fulfill the medical, legal, ethical and administrative requirements of the healthcare system. The data is related to a patient’s medical history, consisting of symptoms, diagnoses, procedures, lab results, x-rays or other scans, clinical information, notes, and outcomes.
Typical day at work
What does Health Information Manager do?
Health Information Manager is a professional who works in hospitals and clinics. He or she works in creating and maintaining the technical and computer-based records about the data related to the patients, their diseases, their admission and discharge from the hospital, and the additional information required to maintain in the records. They are also responsible for the recruitment process in the hospitals or clinics, the hiring, and the subsequential training of the employees or the interns. They also tend to create and implement various institutional policies along with implementing any changes in them. Moreover, they also maintain and manage communication between the working staff, the medical and para-medical staff, and the departmental heads in the hospitals for various meetings and the smooth functioning of the routine work.
- Plan and devise health information systems like computerised patient identification systems, coding and analysis of diseases and procedures, designing health record forms, etc. for healthcare facilities
- Review and assess the efficiency of current health information record services used in healthcare facilities
- Devise and implement new policies and procedures for management of health information in harmony with professional ethics, institutional requirements, and law
- Recruit, administer, and manage employees
- Educate employees in the policies and procedures allied with the control, use and retrieval of health information
- Plan and conduct training programs
- Regulate the transmission of health records to state health departments
- Safeguarding records availability to individuals directly involved with patient’s care
- Designing, generating and analysing reports for administrators and physicians
- Managing and protecting highly sensitive, confidential patient information and records
- Coordinating and communicating between clinical, operational, and administrative departments
- Collecting, analysing, maintaining and managing accurate, complete, and organized timeline electronic health records of patients
- Implementing new standards, software, tools and technology to improve patient care
- Classifying and sorting diseases and treatments to guarantee clinical, financial and legal standardization
- Overlook the technical infrastructure of managing health information
- Handling and maintaining medical records, databases, and registries
- Track patient outcomes for quality assessment to see how a patient’s health has changed over a period of time
- Use organization software to allocate clinical codes for data analysis
- View patients health information to understand how a population’s health has changed, and understand the medical interventions that can change health outcomes
- Monitor secure databases that can only be accessed by authorized personnel
- Responsible for overseeing the process of updating, storing, and retrieving patient data.
Abilities & aptitude needed
What are the skills, abilities & aptitude needed to become Health Information Manager?
- Health information managers must have analytical skills and be detail-oriented in order to understand and follow medical records and diagnoses, to accurately code them in a patient’s medical record. These professionals must also possess technical abilities to know how to use software for data recording.
- These individual must have high integrity and a strong sense of ethics as they work with sensitive, confidential data of patient’s records that are required, by law, to be kept protected.
- They need strong interpersonal and communication skills, both in written and spoken, to discuss patient information, inconsistencies, and data needs with doctors, patients or their caregivers, and administrative staff.
Which course I can pursue?
Which are the best colleges to attend to become Health Information Manager?
Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh
Chandigarh, Chandigarh | INC, MCI, UGCNIRF Rank : 2
Christian Medical College, Vellore
Vellore | MCINIRF Rank : 3
Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research, Puducherry
Puducherry, | DCI, MCI, UGCNIRF Rank : 8
Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
Pune, Maharashtra | Savitribai Phule Pune University, PuneNIRF Rank : 10
King George`s Medical University, Lucknow
Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh | UGC, NAAC-ANIRF Rank : 10
Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | Sri Ramachandra University (SRU)NIRF Rank : 11
JSS Medical College, Mysore
Mysuru, Karnataka | Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, KarnatakaNIRF Rank : 17
Christian Medical College, Ludhiana
Ludhiana, PUNJAB | College of Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, FaridkotNIRF Rank : 18
Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal
Manipal, Karnataka | UGCNIRF Rank : 18
Punjabi University, Patiala
Patiala, Punjab | UGC, NAAC.AIUNIRF Rank : 18
Siksha 'O' Anusandhan, Bhubaneswar
Bhuvaneshwar, Odisha | Biju Patnaik University of Technology,UGC,NAACNIRF Rank : 21
Symbiosis International University, Pune
Lavale, Maharashtra | Symbiosis International University, PuneNIRF Rank : 22
University College of Medical Sciences, Delhi
Dilshad Garden, New Delhi | MCINIRF Rank : 23
Jesus & Mary College, New Delhi
Delhi | University of DelhiNIRF Rank : 25
Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences, Tirupati
Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh | MCINIRF Rank : 29
Thiagarajar College, Madurai
Madurai, Tamil Nadu | Madurai Kamaraj University, MaduraiNIRF Rank : 34
Loyola Institute of Business Administration, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu |NIRF Rank : 36
Shanmugha Arts Science Technology and Research Academy, Thanjavur
Thanjur, Tamil nadu | NAAC, UGC, NAAC-ANIRF Rank : 38
Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
Varanasi | ACU AIU NAAC UGCNIRF Rank : 39
Maharishi Markandeshwar University, Mullana
Mullana, Haryana | Maharishi Markandeshwar University, MullanaNIRF Rank : 41
Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam, Tirupathi
Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh | UGCNIRF Rank : 46
Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | Sathyabama University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 47
Amity University, Gautam Budh Nagar
NOIDA | UGC?, ?NAAC?, ?WASC?, ?AIU?, ?ACUNIRF Rank : 49
Lovely Professional University, Phagwara
Phagwara, Punjab | UGC, AIU, PCI, NCTE, COA, ACBSP,NIRF Rank : 52
JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research, Mysore
Mysuru | UGCNIRF Rank : 55
Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences, Allahabad
Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh | UGC, ACU AIU IAU IAUANIRF Rank : 56
Koneru Lakshmaiah Education Foundation University(K L College of Engineering), Vaddeswaram
Guntur, Andhra Pradesh | University Grants Commission, All India Council for Technical EducationNIRF Rank : 58
MAEERS Maharashtra Institute of Pharmacy, Pune
Pune, Maharashtra | Government of Maharashtra/AICTE/UGC/Savitribai Phule Pune UniversityNIRF Rank : 60
NSHM Knowledge Campus, Kolkata
Kolkata, West Bengal | Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, KolkataNIRF Rank : 68
Indian Institute of Health Management Research University, Jaipur
Jaipur | UGC/AICTENIRF Rank : 72
SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
Kattankulathur, Tamil Nadu | SRM University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 73
Manipal University, Jaipur
Dahmi Kalan, Rajasthan | Manipal University, JaipurNIRF Rank : 84
Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati
Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh | UGCNIRF Rank : 89
Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science, Chennai
Chennai | NAAC; UGCNIRF Rank : 95
IK Gujral Punjab Technical University, Kapurthala
jalandhar | UGC, AICTENIRF Rank : 96
St. Xavier's College, Mumbai
Mumbai, Maharashtra | University of MumbaiNIRF Rank : 96
KLE Academy of Higher Education and Research, Belagavi
Belagavi | UGCNIRF Rank : 98
Tezpur University, Tezpur
Tezpur, Assam | N/ANIRF Rank : 104
PES University, Bengaluru
Bengaluru, Karnataka | AICTE, NAAC, UGCNIRF Rank : 149
Dr Vishwanath Karad MIT World Peace University, Pune
Pune, Maharashtra | UGCNIRF Rank : 154
Which industries are open for Health Information Manager?
Ready to become Health Information Manager?
Take the world’s best assessment test !Take a free demo
Are there internships available for Health Information Manager?
What does the future look like for Health Information Manager?
Health information managers work with administrators, patients, and doctors in a full-time job position, working an 8 hour shift, at times over-time is expected. They usually work in environments such as hospitals, nursing homes, pharmaceutical firms, insurance companies, public health settings, physician practices, consulting firms, and computer systems design firms.
Explore related career
Finance And Accounts | 12th | CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT for Master’sSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Entertainment & Media | 12th | National School of Drama entranceSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACET Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACETSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Medicine & Allied Healthcare | 12thSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum