Who is General Practitioner?
A general practitioner is a doctor who specializes in a variety of medical problems and helps patients coming from all age groups and cultural backgrounds. General practitioners, also known as primary care physicians, work in the healthcare sector and work on providing care and support to the patients suffering from chronic illnesses, performing the annual exams, and addressing the minor and major health concerns of the patients. The primary care physicians are quite patient and resilient in their professional front and handle the patients and their situations quite proactively. They also provide the patients' guidance and suggestions on a variety of health concerns and also refer them to specialists whenever necessary.
Typical day at work
What does General Practitioner do?
A general practitioner, also known as a GP is a practitioner working in the healthcare sector. The general practitioner treats all the conditions related to medical health and also refers the patients with their appropriate procedure like guiding the ones who need proper treatment to the hospital. The primary work of a general practitioner is to look after the overall health of the individual including their physical, emotional, social, and psychological health.
General practitioners also tend to look after the patients at their respective homes and within the areas of their residence. With social responsibility, they also tend to promote and spread general awareness about the prevention, the cure, and the interventions for the various concerns. They also in a way guide people of their overall health and hygiene.
- To treat or prevent illness, disease, or injury, prescribe or deliver treatment, therapy, medication, vaccine, and other advanced medical services
- Order, conduct, and interpret tests and analyse records, reports, and examination data for patient’s diagnosis
- Collect, document, and preserve patient records, including medical history, notes, or results of examinations
- Track patient’s health and progress of patients’ conditions, and reassess treatments as appropriate
- Explain method, discuss test findings, and suggested treatments with patients
- Advise patients and community members on food, exercise, hygiene, and the prevention of diseases
- When required, refer the patient to medical professionals or other practitioners
- Collaborate and manage work with nurses, social workers, rehabilitation therapists, pharmacists, psychologists, and other health care providers
- Instruct and integrate nurses, interns, assistants, specialists, therapists, and other medical personnel’s activity
- Design, enforce, or prescribe health programs or guidelines for prevention or treatment of injury or disease in hospitals, industries, or communities
- Provide pre-natal and post-natal care and occasionally may deliver babies
- Operate or perform minor surgery to remove, restore, or enhance functioning of diseased or damaged body parts and systems of patients
- Train residents, interns, students of medicine, and other health care personnel
- Prepare government or organizational reports that consists of birth, death, disease statistics, staff evaluations, and individuals’ medical status
- Administrating general medical treatments like injections, immunizations, skin moles removals, wound dressing, stitches, etc.
- Staying abreast with the latest medical developments, new treatments, drugs, and medications, as well as with complementary medicine
- Arrange for hospital admission of patients when required
- Consult with pharmaceutical industry executives on the developments of new pharmaceutical products
- Perform administrative activities, such as signing repeat prescriptions, death certificates, and fitness certificates, and writing letters and reports
- Examine and question patients to conclude the nature of the disorder or illness and record the patient's medical information
- Recording births, deaths and reportable diseases to authorities in government.
Abilities & aptitude needed
What are the skills, abilities & aptitude needed to become General Practitioner?
General Physician must have the knowledge and experience of providing general medical services across lifespan. They must be able to listen and communicate actively and attentively to the needs of the patients. They need to ask the right questions to interpret the information. They also regularly interact with other professionals and administrative staff. Thus, having good communication, in written and verbal as well as interpersonal skills is necessary.
They must be sensitive, calm, polite, patient, and empathic to patients’ needs and concerns. They need to make their patients feel comfortable and let them know they care, which requires them to have emotional intelligence.
To work with patient’s symptoms, they require analytical thought, problem-solving, judgement, and decision-making skills to determine best course of action. They must show dedication, eye for detail, determination, persistence to commit to years of intense practice. They need to efficient at team and time management as well as leadership and multitasking skills in order to care for various patients with different needs at the same time. They need to be highly organised, responsible, flexible, and observant.
They work with very sharp tools like syringes, thus they need to have manual dexterity as mistakes can have serious consequences. They must have self-discipline, spatial orientation, physical stamina, and physical dexterity as they spend a lot of time on feet.
Which course I can pursue?
Which are the best colleges to attend to become General Practitioner?
All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi
New Delhi | Ministry of health and family welfareNIRF Rank : 1
Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh
Chandigarh, Chandigarh | INC, MCI, UGCNIRF Rank : 2
Christian Medical College, Vellore
Vellore | MCINIRF Rank : 3
Kasturba Medical College, Manipal
Manipal,karnataka | Medical Council of IndiaNIRF Rank : 7
Jawaharlal Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research, Puducherry
Puducherry, | DCI, MCI, UGCNIRF Rank : 8
Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
Pune, Maharashtra | Savitribai Phule Pune University, PuneNIRF Rank : 10
King George`s Medical University, Lucknow
Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh | UGC, NAAC-ANIRF Rank : 10
Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | Sri Ramachandra University (SRU)NIRF Rank : 11
St. John's Medical College, Bengaluru
Bengaluru, Karnataka | College of Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, BangaloreNIRF Rank : 12
Maulana Azad Medical College, Delhi
New Delhi, DELHI | College of University of Delhi, DelhiNIRF Rank : 14
JSS Medical College, Mysore
Mysuru, Karnataka | Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, KarnatakaNIRF Rank : 17
Christian Medical College, Ludhiana
Ludhiana, PUNJAB | College of Baba Farid University of Health Sciences, FaridkotNIRF Rank : 18
Vardhman Mahavir Medical College and Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi
New Delhi, Delhi | Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University.NIRF Rank : 19
Siksha 'O' Anusandhan, Bhubaneswar
Bhuvaneshwar, Odisha | Biju Patnaik University of Technology,UGC,NAACNIRF Rank : 21
Symbiosis International University, Pune
Lavale, Maharashtra | Symbiosis International University, PuneNIRF Rank : 22
University College of Medical Sciences, Delhi
Dilshad Garden, New Delhi | MCINIRF Rank : 23
Meenakshi Academy of Higher Education and Research, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | Meenakshi Academy of Higher Education and Research, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 24
Dayanand Medical College, Ludhiana
Ludhiana, NEW DELHI | MCINIRF Rank : 24
Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences, Chennai
Velappanchavadi, Chennai | MCINIRF Rank : 25
M. S. Ramaiah Medical College, Bengaluru
Bengaluru, Karnataka | Rajiv Gandhi UniversityNIRF Rank : 27
Regional Institute of Medical Sciences, Imphal West
Imphal, Manipur | College of Manipur University, ImphalNIRF Rank : 28
Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences, Tirupati
Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh | MCINIRF Rank : 29
All India Institute of Medical Sciences
Bhubaneshwar, Odisha |NIRF Rank : 31
Sawai Man Singh Medical College
Jaipur, Rajasthan | College of Rajasthan University of Health Sciences, JaipurNIRF Rank : 38
Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
Varanasi | ACU AIU NAAC UGCNIRF Rank : 39
SCB Medical college and hospital
Cuttack, Odisha | College of Utkal University, BhubaneswarNIRF Rank : 39
KS Hegde Medical Academy, Mangalore
Mangaluru, Karnataka | College of NITTE University, MangaloreNIRF Rank : 45
Mahatma Gandhi Medical College and Research Institute
Pondicherry, Puducherry | College of Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth, PondicherryNIRF Rank : 46
Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College
Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh | Aligarh Muslim UniversityNIRF Rank : 47
Panjab University, Chandigarh
Chandigarh,Chandigarh | Panjab University, ChandigarhNIRF Rank : 48
Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
Thanesar, Haryana | UGCNIRF Rank : 53
JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research, Mysore
Mysuru | UGCNIRF Rank : 55
SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
Kattankulathur, Tamil Nadu | SRM University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 73
KLE Academy of Higher Education and Research, Belagavi
Belagavi | UGCNIRF Rank : 98
Which industries are open for General Practitioner?
Ready to become General Practitioner?
Take the world’s best assessment test !Take a free demo
Are there internships available for General Practitioner?
What does the future look like for General Practitioner?
A general practitioner mostly has their own private practice. However, some Primary Care Physicians choose to work in medical set-ups, such as private and government hospitals. They may also extend their services in community health programs. They may have to go for emergency visits at practice or patient’s home, thus, travelling is required.
Explore related career
Finance And Accounts | 12th | CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT for Master’sSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Entertainment & Media | 12th | National School of Drama entranceSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACET Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACETSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Medicine & Allied Healthcare | 12thSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum