Who is Food Service Manager?
A food service manager is an individual responsible for the daily operations of their own or some owner's food service establishment. They oversee all aspects of food preparation and serving and delegate jobs to employees. In addition, they set the standards and policies to ensure that consumers are happy with their experience, that employees are safe, and that the business is successful.
Typical day at work
What does Food Service Manager do?
Foodservice managers are in charge of running restaurants or other enterprises that prepare and serve food and beverages on a daily basis. They manage the business to ensure that it is profitable and direct workers to ensure that customers are delighted with their eating experience.
A food service manager's responsibilities include welcoming clients at the door, ordering food supplies, dealing with customer concerns and complaints, and hiring and training new personnel, to name a few.
- Organize and direct worker training programs, establish performance standards, and resolve staff problems
- Review menus and analyze recipes to determine labour and other costs, and then allocate prices to items in the menu
- Record the number, kind, and item cost sold in to determine unpopular or less profitable items
- Recruit, Assess, and Schedule staff hours and assign duties
- Equipment maintenance and repairs, and manage services such as waste removal and pest control.
- Monitor employee and investor activities to ensure obedience of liquor regulations
- Take appointments, greet and escort the guests to seats, and provide them with menus
- Establish and enforce dining industry accepted nutritional standards
- Plan food use based on expected guests, nutritional value, palatability, popularity, and costs.
- Create specialty dishes and develop recipes
- Manage catering services for events and negotiate arrangement details with customers
- Monitor processes and operational problems to progress service, performance, safety
- If required, perform tasks like cooking, clearing tables, and serving food and drinks
- Maintain food and equipment inventories and records
- Maintain government records regarding sanitation and food subsidies
- Estimate food, liquor, wine, and other beverage consumption to purchase expected amounts
- Monitor compliance with health and fire regulations with the staff while preparing food and serving
- Coordinate duties of chefs to ensure economical use of food and timely preparation
- Schedule, check delivery contents for product quality and quantity, and then receive deliveries of raw materials, food and beverage
- Monitor methods of food preparation, portion sizes, and garnishing of food to ensure that food is presented in a satisfactory way
- Monitor budgets and records of payroll, check financial transactions to confirm authorized and budgeted expenditures
- Smell and taste-test cooked food to ensure palatability and flavour
- Investigate and resolve complaints regarding food quality, service, or accommodations.
Abilities & aptitude needed
What are the skills, abilities & aptitude needed to become Food Service Manager?
- Food service managers, and restaurant owners, should be aware of the know-how of the restaurant business, such as how to budget for supplies, set prices, and manage workers to guarantee profits. In addition, food service managers keep track of many different schedules, budgets, and people; this one also requires good organization skills.
- Managers must have good leadership and problem-solving skills to establish healthy work relationships for a productive work environment by motivating workers and resolving conflicts. In addition, food service managers must be courteous, attentive and need good listening skills to ensure customer loyalty when dealing with customers' critical needs. They also need to have good communication skills to give clear orders to staff and be able to explain information to employees and customers.
- Managers deal with many different types of activities; thus, they are required to be detail-oriented. They interact with suppliers, workers, and customers; maintain financial records, and ensure health and food safety.
- Time Management, Negotiation Skills, and Critical Thinking are other few skills required to manage a food chain.
Lastly, Food service managers expect physical stamina as they often work long hours, mostly on their feet.
Which course I can pursue?
Which are the best colleges to attend to become Food Service Manager?
Loyola College, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | University of Madras, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 6
Madras Christian College, Chennai
Chennai | University of MadrasNIRF Rank : 13
JSS Medical College, Mysore
Mysuru, Karnataka | Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, KarnatakaNIRF Rank : 17
Punjabi University, Patiala
Patiala, Punjab | UGC, NAAC.AIUNIRF Rank : 18
Siksha 'O' Anusandhan, Bhubaneswar
Bhuvaneshwar, Odisha | Biju Patnaik University of Technology,UGC,NAACNIRF Rank : 21
PSGR Krishnammal College for Women, Coimbatore
Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu | Bharathiar University, CoimbatoreNIRF Rank : 22
Mar Ivanios College, Thiruvananthapuram
Thiruvananthapuram | University of Kerala,UGCNIRF Rank : 29
Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur
Nagpur, Maharashtra | UGC,AIUNIRF Rank : 29
Women`s Christian College, Chennai
Chennai | University of MadrasNIRF Rank : 32
Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak
Rohtak, Haryana | UGC, NAAC-ANIRF Rank : 32
Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
Varanasi | ACU AIU NAAC UGCNIRF Rank : 39
Maharishi Markandeshwar University, Mullana
Mullana, Haryana | Maharishi Markandeshwar University, MullanaNIRF Rank : 41
Alliance University, Bengaluru
Bengaluru | UCCNIRF Rank : 42
Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam, Tirupathi
Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh | UGCNIRF Rank : 46
Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore
Vellore | UGCNIRF Rank : 46
Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University, Raipur
Raipur, Chhattisgarh | UGCNIRF Rank : 48
Amity University, Gautam Budh Nagar
NOIDA | UGC?, ?NAAC?, ?WASC?, ?AIU?, ?ACUNIRF Rank : 49
Bethune College, Kolkata
Kolkata | ?University of CalcuttaNIRF Rank : 50
Lovely Professional University, Phagwara
Phagwara, Punjab | UGC, AIU, PCI, NCTE, COA, ACBSP,NIRF Rank : 52
VELS Institute of Science Technology and Advanced Studies, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | ?UGC NAACNIRF Rank : 52
MS Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences, Bangalore
Bengaluru, Karnataka | MS Ramaiah University of Applied Sciences, BangaloreNIRF Rank : 52
Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
Thanesar, Haryana | UGCNIRF Rank : 53
Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences, Allahabad
Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh | UGC, ACU AIU IAU IAUANIRF Rank : 56
Stella Maris College for Women, Chennai
Chennai | University of MadrasNIRF Rank : 58
Shoolini University of Biotechnology and Management Sciences, Solan
Solan, Himachal Pradesh | UGCNIRF Rank : 65
NSHM Knowledge Campus, Kolkata
Kolkata, West Bengal | Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, KolkataNIRF Rank : 68
St. Xavier's College, Mumbai
Mumbai, Maharashtra | University of MumbaiNIRF Rank : 96
IK Gujral Punjab Technical University, Kapurthala
jalandhar | UGC, AICTENIRF Rank : 96
Muthurangam Govt. Arts College, Vellore
Vellore, Tamil Nadu | Thiruvalluvar University, VelloreNIRF Rank : 98
Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai
Chennai | UGCNIRF Rank : 99
Rajalakshmi Engineering College, Chennai
Mevalurkuppam, Tamil Nadu | Anna University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 139
Manav Rachna International Institute of Research and Studies, Faridabad
Faridabad, Haryana | Manav Rachna International University, FaridabadNIRF Rank : 164
Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, Nadia
Kolkata, West Bengal | Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, KolkataNIRF Rank : 165
Which industries are open for Food Service Manager?
Ready to become Food Service Manager?
Take the world’s best assessment test !Take a free demo
Are there internships available for Food Service Manager?
What does the future look like for Food Service Manager?
Most food service managers work full time, often work for long shifts, usually more than 40 hours per week. At times, managers may be asked to come in on short notice, on late evenings, at weekends, and on holidays. In addition, some managers might have to manage multiple chains at various locations. Food service managers can work in facilities like cafeterias in schools/colleges, factories, hospital canteens, or office buildings, apart from food chains.
Explore related career
Finance And Accounts | 12th | CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT for Master’sSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Entertainment & Media | 12th | National School of Drama entranceSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACET Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACETSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Medicine & Allied Healthcare | 12thSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum