Who is Financial Director?
Finance directors are members of a senior management team who are in charge of the financial health of their organisation. They integrate operational and strategic responsibilities, oversee accounting and financial control tasks, and develop a financial plan for the company's successful long-term development. To accomplish the function, they must be adaptable and talented in order to deal with a constantly changing set of conditions. Finance directors are responsible for monitoring all financial operations, including revenue reporting, training accounting employees, budgeting, disbursing cash to departments, risk management, policy implementation, and financial process improvement.
Typical day at work
What does Financial Director do?
A financial director, also known as the director of financial planning, oversees all the financial tasks and activities in a company. He or she also works on revenue analysis, overseeing workers in the accounting department, corporate budgeting, money distribution, controlling all risks, and executing company regulations. Their responsibilities also include working on and improving the firm's financial situation and steering the organisation toward development and advancement. To ensure that the company's promises are met, the finance directors give specific plans, directions, and assistance. They also work on the firm's central policies, refinement, analysis, and up-gradation, all of which eventually help the organisation. They are in charge of the organisation's finances.
- Leading the accounting and finance function.
- Supporting senior stakeholders on all business reviews.
- Managing the budgeting, forecasting and long-term planning process.
- Generating reports & analysis to assist in decision making.
- Managing banking relationships, cash management and other treasury related activities.
- Ensuring compliance with financial processes, systems and policies.
- Providing an oversight on tax, internal controls and audit related matters.
Abilities & aptitude needed
What are the skills, abilities & aptitude needed to become Financial Director?
- The capacity to communicate vocally and nonverbally by active listening, observation, speaking, and empathising. Financial Directors must have strong verbal, nonverbal, and written communication skills in order to maintain positive relationships with their team, communicate and collaborate with internal departments and other C-level executives, and understandably communicate complex financial information.
- The ability to analyse information and apply logical thinking to break complex issues down into their individual components and find strategic solutions.
- The ability of an individual to use knowledge, facts, data and reasoning to provide solutions to problems. Financial Directors must be able to think critically and react effectively to complicated financial issues, which are often encountered in fast-paced and stressful workplaces.
- The capacity to balance and prioritise tasks in such a way that you can finish your job on time while still preserving a work-life balance.
- Financial Directors spend most of their day multitasking and need to prioritise responsibilities and delegate tasks when necessary.
Which course I can pursue?
Which are the best colleges to attend to become Financial Director?
Presidency College, Chennai
Chennai | UGCNIRF Rank : 3
Loyola College, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | University of Madras, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 6
Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
Pune, Maharashtra | Savitribai Phule Pune University, PuneNIRF Rank : 10
Madras Christian College, Chennai
Chennai | University of MadrasNIRF Rank : 13
PSG College of Arts and Science, Coimbatore
Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu | Bharathiar University, CoimbatoreNIRF Rank : 17
SVKM`s Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai
Mumbai, Maharashtra | ?AACSB?, ?AMBA?, ?UGC?, ?AIUNIRF Rank : 20
PSGR Krishnammal College for Women, Coimbatore
Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu | Bharathiar University, CoimbatoreNIRF Rank : 22
Indian Institute of Management Shillong
Shillong, Meghalaya | AutonomousNIRF Rank : 24
Jesus & Mary College, New Delhi
Delhi | University of DelhiNIRF Rank : 25
Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur
Nagpur, Maharashtra | UGC,AIUNIRF Rank : 29
Scott Christian College, Nagercoil
Nagercoil, Tamil Nadu | Manonmaniam Sundaranar University, TirunelveliNIRF Rank : 30
Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak
Rohtak, Haryana | UGC, NAAC-ANIRF Rank : 32
Thiagarajar College, Madurai
Madurai, Tamil Nadu | Madurai Kamaraj University, MaduraiNIRF Rank : 34
Loyola Institute of Business Administration, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu |NIRF Rank : 36
St. Joseph's College, Tiruchirappalli
Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu | Bharathidasan University, TiruchirappalliNIRF Rank : 39
Alliance University, Bengaluru
Bengaluru | UCCNIRF Rank : 42
Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam, Tirupathi
Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh | UGCNIRF Rank : 46
Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University, Raipur
Raipur, Chhattisgarh | UGCNIRF Rank : 48
Kanchi Mamunivar Centre for Post Graduate Studies, Puducherry
Puducherry | Pondicherry UniversityNIRF Rank : 49
Lovely Professional University, Phagwara
Phagwara, Punjab | UGC, AIU, PCI, NCTE, COA, ACBSP,NIRF Rank : 52
Sri Krishna Arts and Science College, Coimbatore
Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu | Bharathiar University, CoimbatoreNIRF Rank : 53
Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
Thanesar, Haryana | UGCNIRF Rank : 53
St. Thomas College, Thrissur
Thrissur, Kerala | Affiliated to University of CalicutNIRF Rank : 54
Sacred Heart College, Ernakulam
Thevara, Kochi | Mahatma Gandhi University, KottayamNIRF Rank : 57
Koneru Lakshmaiah Education Foundation University(K L College of Engineering), Vaddeswaram
Guntur, Andhra Pradesh | University Grants Commission, All India Council for Technical EducationNIRF Rank : 58
Silver Jubilee Degree College, Kurnool
Kurnool | Rayalaseema UniversityNIRF Rank : 66
Farook College, Kozhikode
Kozhikode, Kerala | CALICUT UNIVERSITY, CALICUTNIRF Rank : 71
TKM College of Arts and Science, Kollam
Kollam | KU, ThiruvananthapuramNIRF Rank : 80
St. Francis College for Women, Hyderabad
Hyderabad, Telangana | Osmania University, HyderabadNIRF Rank : 95
Muthurangam Govt. Arts College, Vellore
Vellore, Tamil Nadu | Thiruvalluvar University, VelloreNIRF Rank : 98
YMCA University of Science and Technology, Faridabad
Faridabad, Haryana | UGCNIRF Rank : 144
Which industries are open for Financial Director?
Ready to become Financial Director?
Take the world’s best assessment test !Take a free demo
Are there internships available for Financial Director?
What does the future look like for Financial Director?
Experience and skills earned as a director of finance often transfer to other industry-related jobs and may help you move to senior-level management positions such as chief financial officer and chief executive officer. Finance directors may also get extra pay in the form of profit-sharing or bonuses.
Explore related career
Finance And Accounts | 12th | CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT for Master’sSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Entertainment & Media | 12th | National School of Drama entranceSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACET Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACETSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Medicine & Allied Healthcare | 12thSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum