Who is Film and Video Editor?
The amount of Internet-only platforms like streaming services and the number of shows created for those platforms is expected to escalate. This development will cause further film and editorial work. The production's victory is contingent on them. The resultant production should be a coherent project, integrating the plot and the starring actors' personalities. Several people in the industry regard film editing as art that frequently goes unnoticed and unacknowledged. Film and video editors alter and manipulate images that educate or entertain an audience. Camera operators give their video footage to the editors and arrange it into a final product.
Typical day at work
What does Film and Video Editor do?
A Film and Video Editor edits raw video or film footage for all types of projects such as tv shows, commercials, films, and even internet-based media. An editor will also collaborate closely with a film or commercial director to ensure that the editing reflects the filmmaker's concept of how the finished product should look and feel.
- Arrange and string together the raw footage into an uninterrupted whole, according to scripts or directors and producer’s instructions
- Examine assembled movies or edited videotapes on monitors or screens to decide whether corrections are required
- Cut film segments to stated lengths and congregate segments in sequences which have maximum impact on stories
- Decide the particular audio and visual impacts and music required to finish the films
- Create a finished product by setting up and operating computer editing and electronic titling systems, digital video effects units and video switching tools.
- Choose and combine every scene's most impactful shots to make a smooth and logical story
- Utilize editing tools to edit videotapes and movies to input dialogue, music and sound effects, organize films in sequences and fix errors
- Cut shot sequences at particular points in scenes to diverse angles, making every single cut as fluid and smooth as possible
- Label frames in which a specific shot or piece of sound will start or end
- Check key numbers and time codes for materials
- Record or get the appropriate sounds from the sound effects libraries
- Analyse footage sequence by sequence to familiarize yourself with it before organizing it into an ultimate product
- Discuss with producers and directors on the editing or layout techniques required to improve the productions' dramatic or entertainment value
- Piece sounds together to create soundtracks for films
- Control and organize the tasks of staff participating in the filming, assembly and recording of films
- Manipulate the story, graphics, score and sound to turn the pieces into a cohesive whole, collaborating closely with people in the departments of optical, audio, video, visual and special effects
- Carry out film screenings for directors and production staff members
- Work with music editors in choosing acceptable music passages and in producing development scores
- Research scripts to familiarize yourself with production concepts and specifications
- Create models for post-production films
- Appropriately guess how long viewers seeing comedies will laugh at every scenario or gag line to space scenes
- Confer the sound needs of images with the sound effects editors
Abilities & aptitude needed
What are the skills, abilities & aptitude needed to become Film and Video Editor?
- Many individuals who are looking for a career in film and video editing must be generally interested in the film industry. Students who were fascinated by films or were interested or a part of their high school drama club would find this career path fascinating.
- To ensure that the project runs smoothly, video and film editors will communicate and connect with other associates of a production team involving directors and producers. These practitioners also need to collaborate alongside industry members as team members. For example, fellow workers may involve other technicians in sound and lighting, film editors, owners of companies, artists in makeup and costume, actors and directors.
- The video editors will utilise advanced tools for editing. However, approximately all editing work is performed on a computer, and editors need to be familiar and trained in a particular kind of editing software.
- The authentic editing process includes spending time in principal photography with the footage shot and finding out what the story is going to be. Moreover, a film is reconstructed in the editing house too. Story lines are cut, and shots from one setup are utilised in a whole different story section. Editors look at each frame of the film and determine whether to retain or cut to keep the best content. Furthermore, video and film editors must be able to envision what would look to an audience as an outcome of their recording or editing.
- Video and film editors will evidently see what they are recording or editing in the post-production procedure. The Editor provides a fresh pair of eyes that can polish a film's cinematic grammar. In the narrative, they create characters and viewpoints to express a new sense from every shot. To accomplish this work, organising and constantly reviewing all of the footage is necessary.
Which course I can pursue?
Which are the best colleges to attend to become Film and Video Editor?
St. Xavier`s College, Kolkata
Kolkata, West Bengal | UGCNIRF Rank : 10
Punjabi University, Patiala
Patiala, Punjab | UGC, NAAC.AIUNIRF Rank : 18
Banasthali Vidyapith, Banasthali
Jaipur, Rajasthan | UGCNIRF Rank : 19
Fergusson College, Pune
Pune | Savitribai Phule Pune UnisversityNIRF Rank : 27
Mar Ivanios College, Thiruvananthapuram
Thiruvananthapuram | University of Kerala,UGCNIRF Rank : 29
St. Joseph's College, Tiruchirappalli
Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu | Bharathidasan University, TiruchirappalliNIRF Rank : 39
Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal
Manipal, Karnataka | Manipal University, ManipalNIRF Rank : 43
Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam, Tirupathi
Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh | UGCNIRF Rank : 46
Amity University, Gautam Budh Nagar
NOIDA | UGC?, ?NAAC?, ?WASC?, ?AIU?, ?ACUNIRF Rank : 49
VELS Institute of Science Technology and Advanced Studies, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | ?UGC NAACNIRF Rank : 52
Lovely Professional University, Phagwara
Phagwara, Punjab | UGC, AIU, PCI, NCTE, COA, ACBSP,NIRF Rank : 52
Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
Thanesar, Haryana | UGCNIRF Rank : 53
Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences, Allahabad
Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh | UGC, ACU AIU IAU IAUANIRF Rank : 56
St. Joseph`s College of Commerce, Bengaluru
Bengaluru, Karnataka | Bangalore University, BangaloreNIRF Rank : 61
Shoolini University of Biotechnology and Management Sciences, Solan
Solan, Himachal Pradesh | UGCNIRF Rank : 65
NSHM Knowledge Campus, Kolkata
Kolkata, West Bengal | Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, KolkataNIRF Rank : 68
SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
Kattankulathur, Tamil Nadu | SRM University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 73
IK Gujral Punjab Technical University, Kapurthala
jalandhar | UGC, AICTENIRF Rank : 96
YMCA University of Science and Technology, Faridabad
Faridabad, Haryana | UGCNIRF Rank : 144
Dr Vishwanath Karad MIT World Peace University, Pune
Pune, Maharashtra | UGCNIRF Rank : 154
Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, Nadia
Kolkata, West Bengal | Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, KolkataNIRF Rank : 165
Sharda University, Greater Noida
Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh | Sharda University, Greater NoidaNIRF Rank : 179
Which industries are open for Film and Video Editor?
Ready to become Film and Video Editor?
Take the world’s best assessment test !Take a free demo
Are there internships available for Film and Video Editor?
What does the future look like for Film and Video Editor?
- Specific pay is contingent on education and training, experience level, geographic position and industry.
- Editors of films and videos usually operate in studios or office environments.
- Film and video editor employers involve TV stations, cable providers, and movie and video firms. Another work employment area is in standalone or independent studios.
Explore related career
Finance And Accounts | 12th | CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT for Master’sSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Entertainment & Media | 12th | National School of Drama entranceSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACET Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACETSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Medicine & Allied Healthcare | 12thSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum