Who is Cyber Lawyer?
The world generated through computers and the internet is known as cyberspace, and the laws covering every footprint in cyberspace are known as cyber-crime or digital laws. Cyber Law decreases or protects criminal activity damage linked to the internet, telecommunications technology, world wide web (www), hardware, software, computer and information systems. Cyber Criminal Lawyer manages cases of cybercrimes against individuals, property and government in the areas of intellectual property, cyber-stalking, fraud, cyber-threats, trade secrets, freedom of speech, cyber terrorism, protection of data, etc.
Typical day at work
What does Cyber Lawyer do?
Cyber lawyers handle cases of cyber crimes like software piracy, hacking, cracking of software, credit card frauds, malfunction viruses, cyber-attacks & threats, etc. against persons, property, and the government. The job of a Cyber Lawyer is to prepare, examine and advocate a case for the client involved in a cyber crime case.
Job Description, Roles, Duties, Tasks, and Responsibilities:
- Investigate on a security breech violation.
- Formulate reports to document security breaches and the degree of the damage caused.
- Develop and implement security standards, ensure compliance of security and emergency policies and healthy procedures to protect an organization’s data from being inappropriately accessed or used.
- Be alert for any security incidents and present a detailed analysis of the incident and what caused it to occur.
- Analyse, interpret, infer data obtained from literature reviews, case law, precedents, criminal, civil and regulatory research, and sample findings.
- Interview professionals to interpret data throughout the court process; to testify, inform, and give expert opinion.
- Accumulate evidence and interview clients, witnesses, and people of interest.
- Assess damages from a particular event; suggest or assign punitive monetary values or remediate actions to various internal and external stakeholders.
- Use persuasion and carefully constructed logical arguments to convince jury and judge.
- Participate in pre-trial negotiations and discovery sessions.
- Counsel clients about their rights under current regulation as well as their obligations.
- Use model data to interpret information about current situations and potential resolutions.
- Converse during court proceedings with shareholders.
- Evaluate files to establish sufficient proof to advance with trial.
- Review operative and applicable legislation to determine the client’s/defendant’s rights, obligations, and duties.
- Draft pleadings and correspondence.
- Research legislation, constitution, regulations and court decisions.
- Deliver legal and policy advice to regulatory and investigating organizations.
- Provide consultation and legal advice to external agencies, professionals, individuals or researchers.
- Ensure that written affidavits, testimonies, and summative reports are accurate.
- Plan, organize and participate in advocacy programs to engage the public.
- Examine the likely case outcome, with the knowledge of legal examples.
Abilities & aptitude needed
What are the skills, abilities & aptitude needed to become Cyber Lawyer?
Along with experience, continued education, and industry certifications, one must build knowledge on cybersecurity, risk management, and information technology infrastructure.
One should be capable of understanding highly technical material such as cyber laws, raw data, scientific literature and precedent cases, which can be used to interpret current legal situations. They must be familiar with the rules and procedures of the trial.
Research skills are particularly important, as cyber lawyers often are responsible for sorting through written regulations and other texts so that they can prepare client recommendations, legal defences and legal advice.
A good cyber criminal lawyer should be able to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing. They must be prompt at analytical skills and critical thinking, problem solving, social sensitivity, interpersonal skills, time management, and negotiation.
The ability to persuade others towards a certain viewpoint helps to win court cases. The attorney also must be able to prepare and amalgamate a profusion of details into an effective case.
Successful cyber lawyers are proactive, organised, investigative, inquisitive, logical, efficient, and detail-oriented individuals.
Which course I can pursue?
Which are the best colleges to attend to become Cyber Lawyer?
National Law School of India University, Bengaluru
Bengaluru, Karnataka | National Law School of India University, BangaloreNIRF Rank : 1
National Law University, New Delhi
New Delhi, Delhi | BCI; UGC; NAAC.NIRF Rank : 2
NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad
Hyderabad, Telangana | NALSAR University of Law, HyderabadNIRF Rank : 3
The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata
Kolkata | UGCNIRF Rank : 5
National Law University, Jodhpur
Jodhpur, Rajasthan | National Law University, JodhpurNIRF Rank : 6
Symbiosis Law School, Pune
Pune, Maharashtra | Symbiosis International University, PuneNIRF Rank : 7
The Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala
Sidhuwal, Punjab | UGCNIRF Rank : 10
Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
Pune, Maharashtra | Savitribai Phule Pune University, PuneNIRF Rank : 10
National Law Institute University, Bhopal
Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh | National Law Institute University, BhopalNIRF Rank : 11
Dr. B. R. Ambedkar College of Law, Visakhapatnam(ANDHRA UNIVERSITY)
Visakhapatnam, AP | Andra UniversityNIRF Rank : 15
Punjabi University, Patiala
Patiala, Punjab | UGC, NAAC.AIUNIRF Rank : 18
Banasthali Vidyapith, Banasthali
Jaipur, Rajasthan | UGCNIRF Rank : 19
Siksha 'O' Anusandhan, Bhubaneswar
Bhuvaneshwar, Odisha | Biju Patnaik University of Technology,UGC,NAACNIRF Rank : 21
Symbiosis International University, Pune
Lavale, Maharashtra | Symbiosis International University, PuneNIRF Rank : 22
National University of Advanced Legal Studies (NUALS)
Kochi | UGCNIRF Rank : 26
Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur
Nagpur, Maharashtra | UGC,AIUNIRF Rank : 29
Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak
Rohtak, Haryana | UGC, NAAC-ANIRF Rank : 32
Shanmugha Arts Science Technology and Research Academy, Thanjavur
Thanjur, Tamil nadu | NAAC, UGC, NAAC-ANIRF Rank : 38
Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
Varanasi | ACU AIU NAAC UGCNIRF Rank : 39
Alliance University, Bengaluru
Bengaluru | UCCNIRF Rank : 42
Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore
Vellore | UGCNIRF Rank : 46
Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University, Raipur
Raipur, Chhattisgarh | UGCNIRF Rank : 48
Amity University, Gautam Budh Nagar
NOIDA | UGC?, ?NAAC?, ?WASC?, ?AIU?, ?ACUNIRF Rank : 49
VELS Institute of Science Technology and Advanced Studies, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | ?UGC NAACNIRF Rank : 52
Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
Thanesar, Haryana | UGCNIRF Rank : 53
Shoolini University of Biotechnology and Management Sciences, Solan
Solan, Himachal Pradesh | UGCNIRF Rank : 65
SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
Kattankulathur, Tamil Nadu | SRM University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 73
Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science, Chennai
Chennai | NAAC; UGCNIRF Rank : 95
The Northcap University, Gurugram
Gurgaon, Haryana | BCI, NAAC, UGC, MHRD, AIUNIRF Rank : 117
PES University, Bengaluru
Bengaluru, Karnataka | AICTE, NAAC, UGCNIRF Rank : 149
Which industries are open for Cyber Lawyer?
Ready to become Cyber Lawyer?
Take the world’s best assessment test !Take a free demo
Are there internships available for Cyber Lawyer?
What does the future look like for Cyber Lawyer?
One can work in any organisation with a computer network and IT department, government or public organisations, different Ministries of the Centre and the State as well as Defence Services- the Army, Navy and Air Force of India, police departments, private organisations, law agencies, academia, or be self-employed. It is usually a full-time job, at times may be called in at odd hours if there is a cyber-threat. Travel to courts and other places required in a case are essential.
Explore related career
Finance And Accounts | 12th | CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT for Master’sSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Entertainment & Media | 12th | National School of Drama entranceSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACET Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACETSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Medicine & Allied Healthcare | 12thSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum