Who is Criminal Investigator and Special Agent?
A criminal investigator or special agent is an individual who works with different law enforcement agents to solve crimes. They work discreetly to ensure making correct decisions while looking into suspects as well as thoroughly analysing crime scenes to collect all the relevant pieces of evidence or data. An individual or organisation usually employs them to undertake operations such as finding missing people, collecting information, conducting surveillance to achieve deliberately hidden information, and participating in solving crimes. These agents can be self-employed in law enforcement agencies and work directly for private clients, organisations or corporates. They must maintain reports along with detailed records of cases, as it is a crucial part of their work as they need to submit evidence in court. Criminal investigators and special agents are popular career choices amongst people who are eager to make a career in this field of law enforcement. Therefore, criminal investigators and special agents play an essential role in law enforcement.
Typical day at work
What does Criminal Investigator and Special Agent do?
Criminal investigators and special agents acquire information and evidence about potential offences. They conduct interviews, watch suspects' activities, and participate in raids and arrests. Detectives frequently wear simple clothes and typically specialise in one form of crime, such as homicide or fraud. He or she examines suspected and alleged criminal infractions of the law in order to assess if the evidence is adequate to support prosecution.
The core responsibilities of a criminal investigator and special agents are:
- Develop reports that need thorough investigative findings.
- Collect and confirm the authenticity of the evidence by observation and interviews with the suspects and witnesses.
- Get and execute warrants such as search and arrest warrants.
- Search and collect evidence in the form of fingerprints, hair strands, etc., through investigative equipment.
- Investigating crimes such as organised crime, public corruption, copyright infringement, bank robbery, extortion, etc.
- Record documents and evidence by using professional equipment and then later analyse them.
- Cultivate relationships with informants to collect information related to cases.
- Determining the timing, scope and direction of the investigation.
- Recognising proofs and case problems based on reviewing charges, complaints, or allegations of law violations.
- Analysing evidence in laboratories as well as on the field.
Abilities & aptitude needed
What are the skills, abilities & aptitude needed to become Criminal Investigator and Special Agent?
- Skills that help them function well. First, they must have the ability of inductive reasoning that helps them combine pieces of information to get to a conclusion.
- They must also be active listeners to give full attention to what witnesses or suspects say while in an interview. They will understand the points being made as well as ask relevant questions for the specific conversation.
- They also need critical thinking abilities to use logic and reasoning in their work to solve cases. Critical thinking will also come in handy while finding alternative solutions or conclusions in an investigation.
- They must also have fluent speaking skills and a good sense of problem-solving ability. Social perceptiveness must also be available; this means that they must be aware of other people's reactions and understand why they reacted the way they did. Along with these skills, they are also required to have a bold & daring personality.
Which course I can pursue?
Which are the best colleges to attend to become Criminal Investigator and Special Agent?
Atma Ram Sanatan Dharm College, New Delhi
New Delhi | Delhi UniversityNIRF Rank : 14
JSS Medical College, Mysore
Mysuru, Karnataka | Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, KarnatakaNIRF Rank : 17
Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur
Nagpur, Maharashtra | UGC,AIUNIRF Rank : 29
Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University, Raipur
Raipur, Chhattisgarh | UGCNIRF Rank : 48
Amity University, Gautam Budh Nagar
NOIDA | UGC?, ?NAAC?, ?WASC?, ?AIU?, ?ACUNIRF Rank : 49
Bethune College, Kolkata
Kolkata | ?University of CalcuttaNIRF Rank : 50
Lovely Professional University, Phagwara
Phagwara, Punjab | UGC, AIU, PCI, NCTE, COA, ACBSP,NIRF Rank : 52
SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
Kattankulathur, Tamil Nadu | SRM University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 73
St. Xavier's College, Mumbai
Mumbai, Maharashtra | University of MumbaiNIRF Rank : 96
Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, Nadia
Kolkata, West Bengal | Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, KolkataNIRF Rank : 165
Which industries are open for Criminal Investigator and Special Agent?
Ready to become Criminal Investigator and Special Agent?
Take the world’s best assessment test !Take a free demo
Are there internships available for Criminal Investigator and Special Agent?
What does the future look like for Criminal Investigator and Special Agent?
To pursue a career as a criminal investigator and special agent, the individual must value achievements and be result oriented. This is a highly respected career in society. The overall job outlook for this career has been positive since the year 2004, as well as the demand for the career is expected to rise in the upcoming years. The vacancies for this job have increased by approximately 30% nationwide. Individuals recruited in the field regularly receive benefits such as paid sick leaves, paid holidays, life insurance, health insurance policies, pension plans and retirement plans. Along with these benefits, they also get acknowledgement, honour, and the privilege of being able to unlock mysteries, get justice for other people and keep them safe. On the other hand, the pay scale is also quite decent for the people working in this sector.
Explore related career
Finance And Accounts | 12th | CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT for Master’sSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Entertainment & Media | 12th | National School of Drama entranceSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACET Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACETSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Medicine & Allied Healthcare | 12thSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum