Who is Corporate Counselor?
A corporate counsellor works directly for a company to help them deal with law or legal proceedings that a company may encounter in operating. They act as the legal representatives of the company. A corporate counsel may offer advice on contracts, property interests, collective bargaining agreements, government regulations and patents.
Typical day at work
What does Corporate Counselor do?
Corporate counsel refers to the legal advisers employed by corporations, organisations, and businesses. Corporate counsels advise employees and businesses all through the court on a variety of legal issues. Various duties involve Drafting legal documents as required by the company, based on situations and clients. Negotiating settlement terms with individuals of interest. Taking care of legal conflicts with other businesses and/or individuals.
- To provide accurate and timely counsel to executives in various legal topics so that they could make an informed decision.
- To collaborate with management and devise efficient defence strategies
- To specify internal governance policies and regular observations to ensure adherence to them.
- To research and evaluate different risk factors regarding business decisions and operations.
- To deploy effective risk management techniques and offer proactive advice on possible legal issues.
- To communicate and negotiate with external parties, create relations of trust etc.
- To draft and solidify agreements, contracts and other legal documents to ensure full legal rights.
- To deal with complex matters involving multiple stakeholders and forces
- To provide clarification on legal language and explain them in layman's terms.
- Maintaining an updated understanding of legislative changes.
Abilities & aptitude needed
What are the skills, abilities & aptitude needed to become Corporate Counselor?
- Soft skills such as excellent writing, communication, and negotiating skills are virtues that would enable them to lead a successful career because these skills are integral to their day-to-day corporate law work.
- Corporate law is a vast area involving different transnational, regulatory, and business-related matters. One must have a quest to learn and remain updated in many different areas of law.
- Corporate counsellors dealing with many different clients in different industries must be aware of the nooks and corners of each industry they are working with. In addition, everyone can't be an all-rounder; when facing an issue with an area they are inexperienced with, one must be able to reach out to the lawyers specialised in that area.
Which course I can pursue?
Which are the best colleges to attend to become Corporate Counselor?
National Law School of India University, Bengaluru
Bengaluru, Karnataka | National Law School of India University, BangaloreNIRF Rank : 1
National Law University, New Delhi
New Delhi, Delhi | BCI; UGC; NAAC.NIRF Rank : 2
NALSAR University of Law, Hyderabad
Hyderabad, Telangana | NALSAR University of Law, HyderabadNIRF Rank : 3
The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata
Kolkata | UGCNIRF Rank : 5
Symbiosis Law School, Pune
Pune, Maharashtra | Symbiosis International University, PuneNIRF Rank : 7
The Rajiv Gandhi National University of Law, Patiala
Sidhuwal, Punjab | UGCNIRF Rank : 10
Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
Pune, Maharashtra | Savitribai Phule Pune University, PuneNIRF Rank : 10
National Law Institute University, Bhopal
Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh | National Law Institute University, BhopalNIRF Rank : 11
Dr. B. R. Ambedkar College of Law, Visakhapatnam(ANDHRA UNIVERSITY)
Visakhapatnam, AP | Andra UniversityNIRF Rank : 15
Punjabi University, Patiala
Patiala, Punjab | UGC, NAAC.AIUNIRF Rank : 18
Banasthali Vidyapith, Banasthali
Jaipur, Rajasthan | UGCNIRF Rank : 19
Siksha 'O' Anusandhan, Bhubaneswar
Bhuvaneshwar, Odisha | Biju Patnaik University of Technology,UGC,NAACNIRF Rank : 21
Symbiosis International University, Pune
Lavale, Maharashtra | Symbiosis International University, PuneNIRF Rank : 22
Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur
Nagpur, Maharashtra | UGC,AIUNIRF Rank : 29
Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak
Rohtak, Haryana | UGC, NAAC-ANIRF Rank : 32
Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
Varanasi | ACU AIU NAAC UGCNIRF Rank : 39
Alliance University, Bengaluru
Bengaluru | UCCNIRF Rank : 42
Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam, Tirupathi
Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh | UGCNIRF Rank : 46
Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University, Raipur
Raipur, Chhattisgarh | UGCNIRF Rank : 48
Amity University, Gautam Budh Nagar
NOIDA | UGC?, ?NAAC?, ?WASC?, ?AIU?, ?ACUNIRF Rank : 49
Bethune College, Kolkata
Kolkata | ?University of CalcuttaNIRF Rank : 50
VELS Institute of Science Technology and Advanced Studies, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | ?UGC NAACNIRF Rank : 52
Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
Thanesar, Haryana | UGCNIRF Rank : 53
Shoolini University of Biotechnology and Management Sciences, Solan
Solan, Himachal Pradesh | UGCNIRF Rank : 65
SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
Kattankulathur, Tamil Nadu | SRM University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 73
Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science, Chennai
Chennai | NAAC; UGCNIRF Rank : 95
PES University, Bengaluru
Bengaluru, Karnataka | AICTE, NAAC, UGCNIRF Rank : 149
The School of Law Galgotias University, Greater Noida
Greater Noida, Uttar Pradesh | Galgotias University, Greater NoidaNIRF Rank : 177
Which industries are open for Corporate Counselor?
Ready to become Corporate Counselor?
Take the world’s best assessment test !Take a free demo
Are there internships available for Corporate Counselor?
What does the future look like for Corporate Counselor?
Job opportunities in the law industry are projected to grow by 6% from 2018 through 2028, an average growth compared to others. The educational qualification required would be a bachelor's in law. However, a master's specialisation in corporate law is an added advantage. The eligibility to pursue a law course would be a 3-year undergraduate program in any discipline unless they join for a 5 Year integrated course after the 12th. Before law studies, most students take a UG program in history, philosophy, business, or a related field. A corporate counsellor is required in most companies and organisations in various industries. One can pursue a career as a Corporate counsellor in Law Firms, Corporate Firms, Law Institutions, Courts, Judiciary, Law Enforcement Agencies, Consultancy etc. The average salary varies due to differences in positions, experience, organisation and the industry; however, it could range from 3 LPA to 15 LPA.
Explore related career
Finance And Accounts | 12th | CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT for Master’sSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Entertainment & Media | 12th | National School of Drama entranceSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACET Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACETSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Medicine & Allied Healthcare | 12thSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum