Who is Biomedical Engineer?
Biomedical engineering is the intersection between biology, medicine and engineering that is primarily concerned with creating technology and medicine that preserves and improves the quality of life of ailing patients. This field of engineering combines engineering principles with biological knowledge with the intention to address medical needs. Biomedical engineering is also referred to as Bioengineering or BioMed or even BME.
It is due to the development and progress made in biomedical engineering that we are able to avail of revolutionary and life-saving concepts such as kidney dialysis, surgical robots, artificial organs, prosthetics and many more. It is the study of engineering principles and techniques to streamline medical assistance to practitioners like doctors and physicians.
Biomedical engineering being a vast, multidisciplinary field with different areas of focus, aspirants may choose any of these subdivisions to specialize in: Bio-materials, computational biology, biomedical electronics, medical imaging, orthopaedic bioengineering, bio-nanotechnology, cellular, tissue and genetic engineering, and biomedical electronics. When addressing biomedical engineering scope, there is an increasing demand for biomedical engineers owing to society’s general increase in the consumption of machinery and technology in all aspects of life.
Typical day at work
What does Biomedical Engineer do?
Biomedical engineers commonly do the following: Design frameworks and items, for example, artificial internal organs, artificial devices that supplant body parts, and machines for diagnosing medical issues. Install, adjust, maintain, fix, or give specialized help to biomedical equipment.
There are different types of biomedical engineering jobs typically depending on the area of specialization. Generally, it comprises of the following tasks:
- Evaluate the effectiveness, safety, and efficiency of the biomedical equipment.
- Train the involved personnel on the proper use of the equipment.
- Design equipment like artificial internal organs, machines that can diagnose medical problems
- Design electrical circuits, software to run the medical equipment, or computer simulations in order to test the new drug therapies.
- Present research outcomes
Abilities & aptitude needed
What are the skills, abilities & aptitude needed to become Biomedical Engineer?
Skills and Abilities of Biomedical Engineers Biomedical engineers must:
- Ask questions and pay attention to what others are saying.
- Recognize written information.
- Read and comprehend job-related materials.
- Recognize spoken information.
- Write in a clear manner so that others can understand.
- peak clearly so that your listeners can understand you.
2. Reasoning and Problem Solving
- Analyze ideas and use logic to determine their advantages and disadvantages.
- To find solutions to problems, use reasoning.
- Recognize the nature of the issue.
- Draw conclusions by combining several pieces of information.
- Analyze the costs and benefits of a potential action.
- Recognize when something is wrong or is about to go wrong.
- Consider solving problems in novel, unusual, or creative ways.
- Determine what needs to be changed in order to achieve your objectives.
- Recognize when significant changes occur or are likely to occur in a system.
- To arrange objects or actions in a specific order, follow the guidelines.
- By studying and working with new information or materials, you can better understand them.
- Create rules that group items in a variety of ways.
- Consider new approaches to a topic.
3. Concentrate and avoid distractions when performing a task.
- Make use of Math and Science
- To solve problems, select a mathematical method or formula.
- To solve problems, employ scientific methods.
- To solve problems, use your math skills.
4. Quickly and correctly add, subtract, multiply, and divide. Manage oneself, one's people, one's time, and one's possessions.
- Examine how well someone is learning or performing something.
- Manage your own and other people's time.
- Motivate, develop, and direct employees while they are at work.
5. Work with Others
- Teach someone else how to do something.
- Change your behaviour in response to the actions of others.
- Bring people together to discuss differences in order to solve problems.
- Look for ways to assist others.
- Be aware of other people's reactions and investigate the possible causes.
- Persuade others to take a different approach.
- Use a variety of methods to learn or teach new skills.
6. Utilize Things
- When designing products, consider needs and requirements.
- Create equipment and technology to meet the needs of users.
- Inspect and evaluate product quality.
- Create computer software.
Visualize and Perceive
- Consider how something will appear if it is moved or its parts are rearranged.
- Identify a hidden pattern (a figure, object, word, or sound) in distracting material.
- Compare letters, numbers, objects, pictures, or patterns quickly and accurately.
Which course I can pursue?
Which are the best colleges to attend to become Biomedical Engineer?
Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences, New Delhi
New Delhi, Delhi | Nation Capital Territory,UGCNIRF Rank : 9
Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
Pune, Maharashtra | Savitribai Phule Pune University, PuneNIRF Rank : 10
Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | Sri Ramachandra University (SRU)NIRF Rank : 11
Indian Institute of Technology (Indian School of Mines) Dhanbad
Dhanbad, Jharkhand | Indian Institute of technologyNIRF Rank : 15
National Institute of Technology Rourkela
Rourkela, Odisha | UGCNIRF Rank : 16
JSS Medical College, Mysore
Mysuru, Karnataka | Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, KarnatakaNIRF Rank : 17
Symbiosis International University, Pune
Lavale, Maharashtra | Symbiosis International University, PuneNIRF Rank : 22
Meenakshi Academy of Higher Education and Research, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | Meenakshi Academy of Higher Education and Research, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 24
Acharya Narendra Dev College, New Delhi
New Delhi | Delhi universityNIRF Rank : 24
Sri Sivasubramaniya Nadar College of Engineering, Kancheepuram
kancheepuram, Tamil Nadu | Anna UniversityNIRF Rank : 37
PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore
Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu | Anna University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 37
Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal
Manipal, Karnataka | Manipal University, ManipalNIRF Rank : 43
Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore
Vellore | UGCNIRF Rank : 46
Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | Sathyabama University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 47
Lovely Professional University, Phagwara
Phagwara, Punjab | UGC, AIU, PCI, NCTE, COA, ACBSP,NIRF Rank : 52
VELS Institute of Science Technology and Advanced Studies, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | ?UGC NAACNIRF Rank : 52
Koneru Lakshmaiah Education Foundation University(K L College of Engineering), Vaddeswaram
Guntur, Andhra Pradesh | University Grants Commission, All India Council for Technical EducationNIRF Rank : 58
Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology, Surat
Surat, Gujarat | UGC, NBANIRF Rank : 58
MS Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Bengaluru
Bengaluru, Karnataka | Visvesvaraya Technological University, BelagaviNIRF Rank : 64
Shoolini University of Biotechnology and Management Sciences, Solan
Solan, Himachal Pradesh | UGCNIRF Rank : 65
NSHM Knowledge Campus, Kolkata
Kolkata, West Bengal | Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, KolkataNIRF Rank : 68
SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
Kattankulathur, Tamil Nadu | SRM University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 73
Siddaganga Institute of Technology, Tumkur
Tumakuru, Karnataka | Visvesvaraya Technological University, BelagaviNIRF Rank : 79
University College of Engineering, Osmania University, Hyderabad
Hyderabad, Telangana | Osmania University, HyderabadNIRF Rank : 83
Mepco Schlenk Engineering College, Sivakasi
Melamattur, Tamil Nadu | Anna University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 88
Sona College of Technology, Salem
Salem, Tamil Nadu | Anna University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 101
New Horizon College of Engineering, Bengaluru
Bengaluru, Karnataka | Visvesvaraya Technological University, BelagaviNIRF Rank : 106
Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan`s Sardar Patel Institute of Technology, Mumbai
Mumbai, Maharashtra | University of Mumbai, MumbaiNIRF Rank : 114
School of Engineering, Cochin University of Science and Technology, Cochin
Kochi, Kerala | Cochin University of Science and Technology, KochiNIRF Rank : 116
Saveetha Engineering College, Chennai
Kuthambakkam, Tamil Nadu | Anna University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 124
NMAM Institute of Technology, Nitte
Nitte, Karnataka | Visvesvaraya Technological University, BelagaviNIRF Rank : 128
Sri Ramakrishna Engineering College, Coimbatore
Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu | Anna University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 138
Rajalakshmi Engineering College, Chennai
Mevalurkuppam, Tamil Nadu | Anna University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 139
YMCA University of Science and Technology, Faridabad
Faridabad, Haryana | UGCNIRF Rank : 144
PSNA College of Engineering and Technology, Dindigul
Muthanampatty, Tamil Nadu | Anna University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 150
Ramrao Adik Institute of Technology, Navi Mumbai
Navi Mumbai, Maharashtra | University of Mumbai, MumbaiNIRF Rank : 172
Vel Tech Multi Tech Dr. Rangarajan Dr. Sakunthala Engineering College, Morai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | Anna University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 189
Sagi Ramakrishnam Raju Engineering College, Bhimavaram
Chinamiram Rural, Andhra Pradesh | Andhra University, VisakhapatnamNIRF Rank : 190
Which industries are open for Biomedical Engineer?
With the requisite educational background, and preferably with the experience gained during an internship, aspirants may apply for the following biomedical engineering jobs:
- Service engineer - Medical equipment
- Technician - Biomedical
- Product designer - Medical devices
- Biomedical engineer technician
- Production Manager
- Clinical research associate
- Quality manager
Ready to become Biomedical Engineer?
Take the world’s best assessment test !Take a free demo
Are there internships available for Biomedical Engineer?
In any given field, along with theoretical knowledge, it is always an added advantage to get an on-ground experience that enhances the aspirant’s understanding of the domain. It is highly encouraged to take up an internship and gain exposure to the latest software and hardware tools, methodologies and technology and become fluent with industrial standards. Aspirants may seek internships while studying and even after graduation. Many education boards have made it mandatory to take up at least one internship during the course of their degree program in order to better prepare the candidates for competence in the real world.
What does the future look like for Biomedical Engineer?
Manufacturing industries, healthcare and medical facilities, consultancies, government medical organisations, and research organisations are all places where biomedical engineers can find work. A fresher`s salary ranges from around INR 3,00,000 to INR 6,00,000. Phillips, Siemens, GE Healthcare, and others are among the top recruiting firms. The technological revolution, combined with advancements in healthcare, has fueled the demand for Biomedical Engineers.
The application of engineering principles and biological knowledge to medical needs has resulted in the development of revolutionary and life-saving concepts such as artificial organs, surgical robots, advanced prosthetics, and many others. Aside from computer-assisted surgery and extensive research in molecular, cellular, and tissue engineering, the rapidly emerging rehabilitation and orthopaedic engineering fields have also fueled demand for biomedical engineers. R&D (research and development) is another appealing option for them, both in India and abroad.
Explore related career
Finance And Accounts | 12th | CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT for Master’sSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Entertainment & Media | 12th | National School of Drama entranceSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACET Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACETSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Medicine & Allied Healthcare | 12thSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum