Who is Bioinformatics Analyst?
Bioinformatics analyst work in laboratories where they assessed in research experiments on the human genome project. They build data on Bioinformatics to help researchers in discovering cures for diseases. Bioinformatics analyst conducts studies on the complex life chain by working with biological data such as RNA and DNA. The analyst combines biology and computer science to conduct research and studies, it is still a new area of biotechnology. Bioinformatics analyst develops algorithms and database that can help in the understanding diseases and other symptoms related to a particular disease.
Typical day at work
What does Bioinformatics Analyst do?
A Bioinformatics Analyst normally works in a laboratory or office setting, where they aid research trials identified with the Human Genome Project. They build modern databases on bioinformatics so as to assist analysts with finding remedies for maladies while likewise guaranteeing databases are composed and stayed up with the latest. Bioinformatics Analysts study the mind-boggling life chain through working with biological data, such as RNA and DNA. Bioinformatics joins science and software engineering is as yet a generally new zone of biotechnology. Bioinformatics Analysts direct research in labs and create informatics calculations and bioinformatics databases that can help in the comprehension of the illness and other physical conditions.
A Bioinformatician analyst generally performs the following tasks:
- Help scientists in managing, processing and analyzing genomic and molecular data.
- Create and maintain data and also select algorithms to process, analyze, visualize and interpret it.
- Use computer programming skills to extend the software packages, web tools and database queries.
- Assess and interpret all biological information.
- Manage all genomic and proteomic data and knowledge on scientific literature to prepare reports.
- Conduct research using bioinformatics theory in areas such as pharmaceuticals, medical technology, computational biology and medical informationcommunicate research results in conferences and scientific project reports.
Abilities & aptitude needed
What are the skills, abilities & aptitude needed to become Bioinformatics Analyst?
You'll need at least a Master's degree, as well as programming skills and the ability to learn and apply complex technology. Bioinformatics degrees are available from a number of universities. We've outlined some of the skills you'll need to master if you decide to pursue a career in bioinformatics.
1. Bioinformatics Knowledge You must learn how to use:
- Blast and Bowtie sequence alignment tools;
- The Genome Analysis Toolkit (GATK);
- Partek software for next-generation sequencing, microarray, qPCR, and data analysis;
- Tools for handling high-throughput sequencing data (e.g. samtools);
- Ensemble tools for gathering gene data sets;
- Tools for database search systems (e.g. Entrez).
2. Statistical Knowledge You must learn:
- How to use statistical software systems like SPSS and SAS;
- How to conduct statistical analyses with Python or R
3. Programming Capabilities You should be familiar with the following terms:
- R, Perl, Python, Java, and Matlab,
- As well as machine-learning tools and libraries such as Mllib and Scikit-Learn in Python.
4. General Biology Understanding This requirement will vary depending on your field of study or the job you are applying for. You will almost certainly need to be familiar with molecular biology, genetics, and cancer biology.
5. Understanding of Genomics and Genetics This is the foundation of bioinformatics. High-throughput sequencing, next-generation sequencing, and computational genomics are some of the most important skills.
6. Database Administration This includes traditional relational databases, which are the foundation of SQL (e.g. SQL Server and Oracle). You should also be familiar with non-relational, distributed, open-source, and horizontally scalable NoSQL databases (e.g. MongoDB). You should also be familiar with big data databases (for example, TCGA) and big data analytics databases (e.g. Vertica).
7. Data Mining and Machine Learning Data Mining and Machine Learning are the seventh and eighth steps in the data mining and machine learning process Techniques like hierarchical clustering and decision trees are useful in any bioinformatics role.
8. General Knowledge Aside from the technical skills listed above, you'll need a variety of transferable skills, such as the ability to multitask and work independently, good communication skills, curiosity, analytical reasoning skills, and managerial skills.
Which course I can pursue?
Which are the best colleges to attend to become Bioinformatics Analyst?
Miranda House, Delhi
Delhi | Delhi UniversityNIRF Rank : 1
National Institute of Technology, Calicut
Kattangal, Kerala | AICTE, UGCNIRF Rank : 3
Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune
Pune, Maharashtra | Savitribai Phule Pune University, PuneNIRF Rank : 10
Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | Sri Ramachandra University (SRU)NIRF Rank : 11
Maulana Azad National Institute of Technology, Bhopal
Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh | AICTE, NBANIRF Rank : 14
National Institute of Technology Rourkela
Rourkela, Odisha | UGCNIRF Rank : 16
JSS Medical College, Mysore
Mysuru, Karnataka | Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, KarnatakaNIRF Rank : 17
Banasthali Vidyapith, Banasthali
Jaipur, Rajasthan | UGCNIRF Rank : 19
Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology, Patiala
Patiala, Punjab | UGCNIRF Rank : 23
Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur
Nagpur, Maharashtra | UGC,AIUNIRF Rank : 29
Sri Venkateswara Institute of Medical Sciences, Tirupati
Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh | MCINIRF Rank : 29
Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak
Rohtak, Haryana | UGC, NAAC-ANIRF Rank : 32
PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore
Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu | Anna University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 37
Shanmugha Arts Science Technology and Research Academy, Thanjavur
Thanjur, Tamil nadu | NAAC, UGC, NAAC-ANIRF Rank : 38
International Institute of Information Technology Hyderabad
Hyderabad, Telungana | AICTE, UGCNIRF Rank : 39
Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
Varanasi | ACU AIU NAAC UGCNIRF Rank : 39
Maharishi Markandeshwar University, Mullana
Mullana, Haryana | Maharishi Markandeshwar University, MullanaNIRF Rank : 41
Sri Padmavati Mahila Visvavidyalayam, Tirupathi
Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh | UGCNIRF Rank : 46
Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore
Vellore | UGCNIRF Rank : 46
National Institute of Technology Durgapur
Durgapur, West Bengal | Deemed UniversityNIRF Rank : 46
Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | Sathyabama University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 47
Amity University, Gautam Budh Nagar
NOIDA | UGC?, ?NAAC?, ?WASC?, ?AIU?, ?ACUNIRF Rank : 49
VELS Institute of Science Technology and Advanced Studies, Chennai
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | ?UGC NAACNIRF Rank : 52
Lovely Professional University, Phagwara
Phagwara, Punjab | UGC, AIU, PCI, NCTE, COA, ACBSP,NIRF Rank : 52
Sri Krishna Arts and Science College, Coimbatore
Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu | Bharathiar University, CoimbatoreNIRF Rank : 53
Kurukshetra University, Kurukshetra
Thanesar, Haryana | UGCNIRF Rank : 53
JSS Academy of Higher Education and Research, Mysore
Mysuru | UGCNIRF Rank : 55
Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences, Allahabad
Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh | UGC, ACU AIU IAU IAUANIRF Rank : 56
Stella Maris College for Women, Chennai
Chennai | University of MadrasNIRF Rank : 58
Koneru Lakshmaiah Education Foundation University(K L College of Engineering), Vaddeswaram
Guntur, Andhra Pradesh | University Grants Commission, All India Council for Technical EducationNIRF Rank : 58
RV College of Engineering, Bengaluru
Bengaluru, Karnataka | Visvesvaraya Technological University, BelagaviNIRF Rank : 63
MS Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Bengaluru
Bengaluru, Karnataka | Visvesvaraya Technological University, BelagaviNIRF Rank : 64
Shoolini University of Biotechnology and Management Sciences, Solan
Solan, Himachal Pradesh | UGCNIRF Rank : 65
National Institute of Technology Agartala
Paschim Barjalai, Tripura | UGCNIRF Rank : 70
SRM Institute of Science and Technology, Chennai
Kattankulathur, Tamil Nadu | SRM University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 73
Kumaraguru College of Technology, Coimbatore
Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu | Anna University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 77
Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University, Katra
Dudura, Jammu and Kashmir | UGCNIRF Rank : 85
Mepco Schlenk Engineering College, Sivakasi
Melamattur, Tamil Nadu | Anna University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 88
Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati
Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh | UGCNIRF Rank : 89
St. Xavier's College, Mumbai
Mumbai, Maharashtra | University of MumbaiNIRF Rank : 96
IK Gujral Punjab Technical University, Kapurthala
jalandhar | UGC, AICTENIRF Rank : 96
Tamil Nadu Veterinary and Animal Sciences University, Chennai
Chennai | UGCNIRF Rank : 99
St. Josephs College of Engineering, Kancheepuram
Chennai, Tamil Nadu | Anna University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 128
Rajalakshmi Engineering College, Chennai
Mevalurkuppam, Tamil Nadu | Anna University, ChennaiNIRF Rank : 139
PES University, Bengaluru
Bengaluru, Karnataka | AICTE, NAAC, UGCNIRF Rank : 149
Manav Rachna International Institute of Research and Studies, Faridabad
Faridabad, Haryana | Manav Rachna International University, FaridabadNIRF Rank : 164
Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, Nadia
Kolkata, West Bengal | Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology, KolkataNIRF Rank : 165
Which industries are open for Bioinformatics Analyst?
Depending on one’s educational background, experience, and skillsets, aspirants may apply for the following bioinformatics analyst jobs:
- Bio analyst
- Clinical Pharmacologist
- Bioinformatics Software Developer
- Research Scientist
- Computational Biologist
- Science Technician
Ready to become Bioinformatics Analyst?
Take the world’s best assessment test !Take a free demo
Are there internships available for Bioinformatics Analyst?
In any given field, along with theoretical knowledge, it is always an added advantage to get an on-ground experience that enhances the aspirant’s understanding of the domain. It is highly encouraged to take up an internship and gain exposure to the latest software and hardware tools, methodologies and technology and become fluent with industrial standards. Aspirants may seek internships while studying and even after graduation. Many education boards have made it mandatory to take up at least one internship during the course of their degree program in order to better prepare the candidates for competence in the real world.
What does the future look like for Bioinformatics Analyst?
Since 2004, the overall job outlook for Bioinformatics Scientist careers has been positive. During that time, job openings for this profession increased by 43.09 percent nationwide, with an average annual increase of 2.69 percent. Bioinformatics Scientists are expected to be in high demand, with 8,240 new jobs expected to be created by 2029. This equates to a 2.44 percent annual increase over the next few years. The overall outlook is positive, with demand outweighing supply, but the devil, as usual, is in the details.
Nonetheless, being a bioinformatics scientist is rewarding. First and foremost, there is the issue of specific skills. Bioinformatics is an interdisciplinary field, which means that it is related to and interacts with many other areas of knowledge. People who work in bioinformatics come from a wide range of disciplines, and as a result, their specific skills vary greatly. There are numerous jobs available, but the required skills vary greatly.
Explore related career
Finance And Accounts | 12th | CAT/MAT/XAT/CMAT for Master’sSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Entertainment & Media | 12th | National School of Drama entranceSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACET Finance And Accounts | 12th + Graduation in Maths/Actuarial | CAT/ GMAT/ACETSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum
Medicine & Allied Healthcare | 12thSalary : Rs 1,00,000 - Rs 10,00,000 per annum